Okay, where's my secret decoder ring?

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited November 9, 2006 in Cameras
Well, I've done it.

After months of research, I finally purchased a dSLR. I'm now a member of "the club." So, where's my ring? Membership card? Bumper sticker? :D

Actually, I have the feeling that what I'll get (besides a much richer capture of my family's moments) is a consistently lighter wallet as time goes by. :thumb

But, the tradeoff is still a great deal - I want my family's memories to be captured by the best camera I can afford (and lenses I can't - LOL). I just got the shipping confirmation from Canoga Camera this afternoon:

[FONT=Verdana,][FONT=Verdana,]Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Outfit w/18-55mm DX Nikkor Lens[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,]Nikon AF SpeedLight SB-600 TTL Camera Shoe Mount Flash[/FONT]

So, now the wait begins. Hopefully by next weekend I'll be shooting RAW and loving it! :wink
[/FONT]

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Congrats!! clap.gif

Hopefully by next year this time I will be joining the same club.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 4, 2006
    Welcome!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    bobcool wrote:
    Well, I've done it.

After months of research, I finally purchased a dSLR. I'm now a member of "the club." So, where's my ring? Membership card? Bumper sticker? :D
    Here is your card.....
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    richW wrote:
    Here is your card.....
    Rich, This is too cool! Good on you!

Bobcool - welcome to the club, though I'm not sure why you chose a junior membership instead of full membership (Nikon vs. Canon).rolleyes1.gif

Congrats! I'm sure you will love it. Now comes the endless hours of lusting and weighing the cost/benefit of each and every lens that you NEED!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Bobcool - welcome to the club, though I'm not sure why you chose a junior membership instead of full membership (Nikon vs. Canon).
    lol3.gif I knew someone had to say something, why give the new proud camera owner a break....
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    bobcool wrote:
    Well, I've done it.

Actually, I have the feeling that what I'll get (besides a much richer capture of my family's moments) is a consistently lighter wallet as time goes by. thumb.gif

But, the tradeoff is still a great deal - I want my family's memories to be captured by the best camera I can afford (and lenses I can't - Laughing.gif). I just got the shipping confirmation from Canoga Camera this afternoon:

[FONT=Verdana,][FONT=Verdana,]Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Outfit w/18-55mm DX Nikkor Lens[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,]Nikon AF SpeedLight SB-600 TTL Camera Shoe Mount Flash[/FONT]

So, now the wait begins. Hopefully by next weekend I'll be shooting RAW and loving it! mwink.gif
    [/FONT]

For the decoder ring, send a check or money order for $1999.99, made out to me. PM me for the details. By the time your check clears, I'll have figured out where I'm going to get the ring.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Laughing.gif Scott - wow that took only four replies - is that a record? :D

Seriously, I could have gone either way and gotten great results, but I did already have an existing Nikkor lense that tipped the scales in Nikon's favor. Plus, the D80 just "felt better" in my hands and I also liked the viewfinder better than the XTi.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to tapping the vast knowledge of this board to help me produce the best pictures for my family and friends. I've been lurking for quite awhile here, and I'm amazed at the amount of expertise and talent I've seen.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone!
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Bobcool - welcome to the club, though I'm not sure why you chose a junior membership instead of full membership (Nikon vs. Canon)
    Just incase BobCool decides to change clubs.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    bobcool wrote:
    Laughing.gif Scott - wow that took only four replies - is that a record? :D

Seriously, I could have gone either way and gotten great results, but I did already have an existing Nikkor lense that tipped the scales in Nikon's favor. Plus, the D80 just "felt better" in my hands and I also liked the viewfinder better than the XTi.
    These are very good reasons to go the route you did. I would have done the same thing in your shoes. As has been said many times in many ways on DGrin, it's not the camera gear but the brain behind it that creates the image. One with some skill can create a great image with a piece of film and a pin-hole in a cardboard box. But, that ain't me!

Looking forward to your contributions here!
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006