Chroma Key help

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited November 4, 2006 in Technique
Hi All,

I am going to be doing a shoot for childrens Christmas photos (cards) where I will be using a green chroma key backdrop for the shots and use a variety of high rez Christmas backgrounds later in PhotoShop.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to light this properly? Background and subject, what shutter speed and aperture is best?
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    with chroma key...I have been told to make sure to light it very evenly (trying to get it shadowless as possible) so it can be dropped out as easily as possible....I could be dead wrong but if I am then so is the "PRO" with whom I had a dicusion about this.

as far as shutter and app.....my advice is always the same...use an incident flash meter...that is always the best....any other way is just shooting test shots of someone ahead of time and not to be doing test shots when the subjects are there.....my flash meter was purchased right after my camera and lens.......when I know I have flash photos to take the meter is always there...and a lot of times when out doing the nature thing (hunting for deer or turkeys etc etc) it is in my camera bag.....I just never feel completely dressed with out one of my flash meters along for the ride..............

Good luck!

"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Thanks Art,

I have been researching the topic and you are correct. Even light with no shadows on the backdrop. And light the back so to expose the back about one stop more than the subject.

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    careful of green reflections
    You also want to make sure the subject is far enough away from the backdrop so the highly lit green surface doesn't reflect back on the edges of your subject.

Here are some other tips.

Have fun!
    Trish
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Thanks to all!

Appreciated.

I tjink I can do this successfully now, will do some testing before hand.
    Cheers,
    Monte