Fashion shots - Nicola Finetti collection

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited November 4, 2006 in People
Following my recent photos from Carala Zampatti's collection and very critical appraisal of the photos from that show I have decided to use a very different approach to this shoot.

I've used Tokina 12-24 f/4 (at 24mm) for full length shots and Canon 50mm f/1.4 for half length shots. There are twelve pairs in the album. Here is one of them:

10-Nicola-Finetti-collection-model-IMG_9031.jpg

10-Nicola-Finetti-collection-model-IMG_9095.jpg

To clarify: this was done at Sydney Motor Show. Questionable lighting and busy background were the order of the day. I've used white Stofen on my 580EX (FEC -2/3) but I could not use ceiling bounce - too high and ceiling was dark. All shots were done in manual mode, hand held at 1/80s. f4 for 24mm and f4.5 for 50mm.

Full gallery is here:
http://www.digital-photo.com.au/v/Sydney+Motor+Show+2006/Fashion/Nicola+Finetti/

Comments and critique welcome.

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Those are nice photos in this style thumb.gif

In fact, the awful lightning isn't that bad, you managed very well to get the thing good. The first one is totally suitable for magazine, I guess ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Thank you Antoine

I've learnt a few things during this shoot - models never stand still (often pose rediculously fast) and they almost never look into the camera (apparently they are told to look into the void)
    AntoineD wrote:
    Those are nice photos in this style thumb.gif

In fact, the awful lightning isn't that bad, you managed very well to get the thing good. The first one is totally suitable for magazine, I guess ;)
    edited November 4, 2006
    …and they almost never look into the camera (apparently they are told to look into the void)

Well, you have to shout at her the louder you can. :)
    Wasn't that what some other photographers did ?
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Antoine, this show was televised, last thing you want is to be shown on national TV shouting to a model so she can turn your way and give you a nice smile. The official photographer and I (we picked the same position) had a chat before the show with the models' manager and we have asked for a favour. That is why I got some "looks" but apparently that is not a "thing to do during a fashion show".
    AntoineD wrote:
    Well, you have to shout at her the louder you can. :)
    Wasn't that what some other photographers did ?
    edited November 4, 2006
    oh yes, I thought of a photocall, at the first time :)

Sure, don't shout out loud on a national television, unless you wanna get some laughs at work on the morning :D