Still working the flash…

AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
edited November 4, 2006 in People
A friend stepping by at my home, only two minutes for a portrait before he left… I shot 5 images then I kept… the very first one :D
ad20061103-058.jpg

Shot raw with a D200 camera and its deported sb800 plus a 17-55 f2.8 and a lumiquest diffuser on the flash.

There's little more on my weblog.

Bad or good, comments always appreciated ;)
have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    I like this portrait, the circle of light is an interesting affect. I don't much care for it, but it does tend to draw your focus right to your friend and maybe that was your intent?

The flash was just a little hot on his forehead.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    I like this portrait, the circle of light is an interesting affect. I don't much care for it, but it does tend to draw your focus right to your friend and maybe that was your intent?

Well, it was :D

I could specify this is no photoshop effect, too: I just focused the flash directly on his head.
    The flash was just a little hot on his forehead.

You mean it's kind of burnt or something?
    I do not think so, unless you could explain a little more? I'm not sure of what you meant. ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Unless he is talking about the flash reflection off the oil on the forehead. You can heal stroke that.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    I didn't think this was PS. I figured it for flash effect and it was done very well. The "little hot on his head" was a reference to the spot above his right eye being a bit brighter than the rest of the forehead. I didn't know if that was intended as it's an effect I don't much like.

Looking at this photo again I can see that this was intentional - giving the photo a raw and very strong impact.

The more I look at the photo, the more I like it.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Antoine
    you often use landscape orientation for portraits. I wonder why?

This is a good shot, perhaps a touch too much direct flash for my liking but as Scott said it works here well.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    Unless he is talking about the flash reflection off the oil on the forehead. You can heal stroke that.

Ok, scott & RTP, I now understand what you meant :D
    At first, I didn't get what you meant, I wasn't sure about what was the "forehead". :D
    Antoine
    you often use landscape orientation for portraits. I wonder why?

This is a good shot, perhaps a touch too much direct flash for my liking but as Scott said it works here well.

Landscape… Well, I'm often a total mess at vertical portrait, to my opinion. In that case, it's merely about publishing in my weblog and the landscape format is just better for it. :p

Besides, I don't really like vertical portraits, but I don't know why ne_nau.gif
    Instead, I'm really into square format portraits, with the hasselblad.