win# 103 in a row

107862801-L.jpg

107863015-L.jpg

107862964-L.jpg

107862859-L.jpg

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    those are really nice crisp action pics,clap.gif unfortunetly they are not facing you more.

how far are they from a state championship.?
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    those are really nice crisp action pics,clap.gif unfortunetly they are not facing you more.

how far are they from a state championship.?

thx...I am still working out where to stand w/ this new lens....i need to be on the other side of the line...
    i think 3-4 playoff games before the final
    playoffs start next friday
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Shooting Indy, huh?

You gonna come down to Gaffney and shoot Gaffney vs Byrnes round 2?

Awesome pics BTW. Nice and sharp.

Mind if I ask you what settings you use? I recently got a Canon EF L 70-200 f/2.8 and a Speedlight 580 EX for my Rebel XT. I am shooting at ISO 1600 f/2.8 1/500 with the flash set on ETTL and was very, very disappointed with the results. Grainy, out of focus, trash is pretty much all I got. I chalk about half up to new gear that I am not used to, but I figured I would get some better pics and I am not seeing any better results than my crummy 80-200 f/4-5 and the built in flash.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited November 5, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    Shooting Indy, huh?

You gonna come down to Gaffney and shoot Gaffney vs Byrnes round 2?

Awesome pics BTW. Nice and sharp.

Mind if I ask you what settings you use? I recently got a Canon EF L 70-200 f/2.8 and a Speedlight 580 EX for my Rebel XT. I am shooting at ISO 1600 f/2.8 1/500 with the flash set on ETTL and was very, very disappointed with the results. Grainy, out of focus, trash is pretty much all I got. I chalk about half up to new gear that I am not used to, but I figured I would get some better pics and I am not seeing any better results than my crummy 80-200 f/4-5 and the built in flash.

thx..

I shot the Indy @ Duncan scrimmage in August
    Man you guys know how to do fb down there...your field, scoreboard, sound system and that team of yours...all 1st class stuff....you set the standard for the rest of the country frankly

I shot Nikon during the day but for night sports I shot a Canon 30d + Canon 135/2 USM lens. No flash. I hate flash. Shutter priority with ss=1/400. ISO depends on lighing but 90% of the time 1600. I would kill to shoot regulary at a place like Byrnes w/ those awesome lights.
    The big problem most face at hs fb games is f2.8 isn't enough aperture so they end up either bluting pics w/ a ss too slow or they underexpose. My pref is to underexpose and shoot in RAW and then get some light back in post processing.

When is Gafney vs Byrnes ?

89226197-L.jpg
    edited November 5, 2006
    Well, First round is this week. We(Gaffney) play Colleton County and Byrnes plays Wando. The Gaffney Bynres Rematch will be the following Friday at Gaffney if both teams advance to the second round.

Byrnes got the Jumbo Tron and the sound system this year. If you think Byrnes place s sharp, you ought to see Dormans. Its like a small College. Gaffney will be building thier new Stadium this off season and is slated to be the nicest HS Stadium in he SE.

If the Gaffney Byrnes Rematch happens, I hope you cn come down and shoot the game.

My son and I do the site for Gaffney High Sports

http://www.gaffneyindiansports.net
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    so what class are these schools. Sounds like 6A.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited November 5, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    Well, First round is this week. We(Gaffney) play Colleton County and Byrnes plays Wando. The Gaffney Bynres Rematch will be the following Friday at Gaffney if both teams advance to the second round.

Byrnes got the Jumbo Tron and the sound system this year. If you think Byrnes place s sharp, you ought to see Dormans. Its like a small College. Gaffney will be building thier new Stadium this off season and is slated to be the nicest HS Stadium in he SE.

If the Gaffney Byrnes Rematch happens, I hope you cn come down and shoot the game.

My son and I do the site for Gaffney High Sports

http://www.gaffneyindiansports.net

I shoot for carolinavarsity.com and have a nchsaa media pass for all nc hs sports...can you get me a press pass for the Gaffney Byrnes Rematch ? The bumer is all of IHS' playoff games will also be on Friday but just in case the unthinkable happens I'd love to shoot that game down there...i sure would love to see a SC vs NC game other than the shrine game (which is a great game)...btw, can you get me a pass for the shrine game ? If it was in NC i'd be covered
    edited November 5, 2006
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    so what class are these schools. Sounds like 6A.

The Independence Patriots are 4AA, 2K students and above
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Back to the photos....

Technically these pictures are GREAT, exposure and focus anyway. Artistically these are lacking.

Being that I do not know which team has the winning streak going, I would hope the pictures to express that to me. They don't. Action shots are GREAT, I love them, and with your title I expected to see some. I would also include some celebration shots, High Fives, or capture smiling faces.

My criteria for a "keeper" is:

Focus
    Exposure
    FACE
    BALL

Unless I am shooting a lineman or other player away from the ball, all FOUR elements must be there for ME to be happy. I will post pictures that are not quite perfect for parents, (they seem to buy ANYTHING) but for my own portfolio only the best of best make it.

By the way, it looks like you have AWESOME lighting to work with. My home field is 3200ISO F2.8 and 1/400 in the BEST spots.

I shot a game last night and was ELATED to get 1600ISO F2.8 and 1/400 over the entire field. I did have WB issues though, the lights did cycle. :(

Keep trying, and find a better place to stand. I like 12-15 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage myself. Then just hope they run/pass to your side of the field!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
    edited November 5, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    Back to the photos....

Technically these pictures are GREAT, exposure and focus anyway. Artistically these are lacking.

Being that I do not know which team has the winning streak going, I would hope the pictures to express that to me. They don't. Action shots are GREAT, I love them, and with your title I expected to see some. I would also include some celebration shots, High Fives, or capture smiling faces.

My criteria for a "keeper" is:

Focus
    Exposure
    FACE
    BALL

Unless I am shooting a lineman or other player away from the ball, all FOUR elements must be there for ME to be happy. I will post pictures that are not quite perfect for parents, (they seem to buy ANYTHING) but for my own portfolio only the best of best make it.

By the way, it looks like you have AWESOME lighting to work with. My home field is 3200ISO F2.8 and 1/400 in the BEST spots.

I shot a game last night and was ELATED to get 1600ISO F2.8 and 1/400 over the entire field. I did have WB issues though, the lights did cycle. :(

Keep trying, and find a better place to stand. I like 12-15 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage myself. Then just hope they run/pass to your side of the field!

thx for that great advice
    edited November 5, 2006
    I shoot for carolinavarsity.com and have a nchsaa media pass for all nc hs sports...can you get me a press pass for the Gaffney Byrnes Rematch ? The bumer is all of IHS' playoff games will also be on Friday but just in case the unthinkable happens I'd love to shoot that game down there...i sure would love to see a SC vs NC game other than the shrine game (which is a great game)...btw, can you get me a pass for the shrine game ? If it was in NC i'd be covered

Your Carolinavarsity Pass should work. Shrine bowl passes have to come from the shriners. Do you know any? They could hook you up. My so is the first ever Studen Correspondant selected for the Shrine Bowl, so I get a pass kinda by default, otherwise, I would have not gotten one.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited November 5, 2006
    As far as flash settings, what do you guys use? I set my flash on ETTL, but I am thinking of trying manual 1/1 next game

My sons little league team has night practice under the lights Monday, Tuesday and Thrusday for thier champonship game, so I will do some practice shooting of thier practices. Can you guys give me any flash tips?
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited November 5, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    Your Carolinavarsity Pass should work. Shrine bowl passes have to come from the shriners. Do you know any? They could hook you up. My so is the first ever Studen Correspondant selected for the Shrine Bowl, so I get a pass kinda by default, otherwise, I would have not gotten one.

so you think a NC high school AA pass will work ?
    edited November 5, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    As far as flash settings, what do you guys use? I set my flash on ETTL, but I am thinking of trying manual 1/1 next game

My sons little league team has night practice under the lights Monday, Tuesday and Thrusday for thier champonship game, so I will do some practice shooting of thier practices. Can you guys give me any flash tips?

i stopped trying w/ flash because the lighting is uneven i was either over or under exposed, I hate the look, and it probably does bother the players even though everybody here seems to use one (except me)
    ittl was ok at 100+mm
    ittl-bl was better up close
    and manual +1/4 worked ok sometimes
    it drove me nuts always trying to change it
    edited November 5, 2006
    so you think a NC high school AA pass will work ?

I'll call the school and find out for sure and let you know.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited November 5, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    I'll call the school and find out for sure and let you know.

thx!