Options

Firefox and IE differences noted today

TarlTarl Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
First off, Smugmug definitely rocks. Thanks to all the forum members here at Dgrin for being so patient with newbies. And thanks to Andy (and his helpers) for providing probably the best customer service I've ever seen anywhere.

Working on my website today (www.geoffw.smugmug.com) and had to do some photo deleting. Was using Firefox. Two separate issues (I'm logged in doing all this).
1. Photos were taking forever to load up in the all thumbs view.
2. When I tried to delete, it would not work. So, I'm logged on, I have the photo selected. I go to photo tools. I select delete photo. Asks me to confirm. Select yes. Goes back to the photo (say, like the Smugmug style). Photo still there (click on refresh, etc.).

So, started up IE (version 6.xx). Log in.
1. Photos load very quickly.
2. Photos delete very quickly and completely.

Hey. No prob. I mean, it could be anything. Bill Gates playing with my head, phase of the moon, no telling : )

So, still in IE. I log out and start running some full screen and "large" slideshows as a "normal" user. They take "forever" to load. In fact, after the first 3 or 4 they get to a point that they don't load at all. It goes from photo to photo without loading the actual photo. I try upping the duration time, from 3 to 6, but no joy.

So, I go back to Firefox. The slide shows work perfectly and smoothly.

Ok. I got it. I'll do my photo work in IE and view in Firefox : )

Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this? My computer is pretty clean. IE and Firefox are all patched, etc.

Thanks,

Tarl

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

I'll need to think about this one a bit.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    snif, sniff...
    I think I smell something burning.:D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Both browsers are performing equally for me on your site, when I view photos, do admin type stuff. Slideshow performs better in FF than IE. IE6 (thankfull) is being replaced by IE7 now, and the slideshow woes we have been experiencing in IE6 should go away :uhoh
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    and the slideshow woes we have been experiencing in IE6 should go away :uhoh
    In like 4 years :cry
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    TarlTarl Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2006
    Tested again today - Different results
    I tested for the same issue(s) today.

Firefox -
    Logged in as admin to my Smugmug account - No problems deleting a photo today. So, that's different. Was still a little slow doing everything. Took approximately 90 seconds to load all my thumbs of the kayaking gallery.
    When I did the slideshow, it was successful at showing all the pictures, but it did act as if it was "struggling". Same type of activity whether I was logged in or as a normal user. I did clean my cache prior to testing. So, somewhat different compared to yesterday. Yesterday the slideshow was not working for admin, but worked fine for normal user (from my PC).

IE -
    Weird. Exact opposite of yesterday (well, I did not try any admin work). Cleaned cache. Restart the browser. OK. So, that was something I did not do yesterday.
    Went to my Kayak gallery and took around 10 seconds to load all thumbs.
    Slideshow was very clean and acted as if no "strain" (yeah, I know, not very techy. But, trust me. I'm a sysadmin, so I tend to skip the techy stuff when I talk about the bits and bytes anymore. You either know what I'm talking about, or you don't : )

My IE version is 6.0.2900.2180 (XP sp2). My FF version is 1.5.0.7.

And, no, I'm not EVEN considering upgrading either for another month or so. I'll let others do the beta testing : )

Finally, I think this is probably an issue on my end. So, wasn't trying to say anything was wrong with Smugmug. Just was curious if anyone else had seen this issue. Only thing I might do is tell my kids to have both browsers installed and try one or the other if they are having problems. That and keeping their cache cleaned, etc.

Trying to make sure Smugmug works with all the possible permutations of OS, hardware, browsers, and connections to the Internet must be an "interesting" job : )

Thanks,

Tarl
  • Options
    e-came-cam Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Tarl wrote:
    I tested for the same issue(s) today.

Firefox -
    Logged in as admin to my Smugmug account - No problems deleting a photo today. So, that's different. Was still a little slow doing everything. Took approximately 90 seconds to load all my thumbs of the kayaking gallery.
    When I did the slideshow, it was successful at showing all the pictures, but it did act as if it was "struggling". Same type of activity whether I was logged in or as a normal user. I did clean my cache prior to testing. So, somewhat different compared to yesterday. Yesterday the slideshow was not working for admin, but worked fine for normal user (from my PC).

IE -
    Weird. Exact opposite of yesterday (well, I did not try any admin work). Cleaned cache. Restart the browser. OK. So, that was something I did not do yesterday.
    Went to my Kayak gallery and took around 10 seconds to load all thumbs.
    Slideshow was very clean and acted as if no "strain" (yeah, I know, not very techy. But, trust me. I'm a sysadmin, so I tend to skip the techy stuff when I talk about the bits and bytes anymore. You either know what I'm talking about, or you don't : )

My IE version is 6.0.2900.2180 (XP sp2). My FF version is 1.5.0.7.

And, no, I'm not EVEN considering upgrading either for another month or so. I'll let others do the beta testing : )

Finally, I think this is probably an issue on my end. So, wasn't trying to say anything was wrong with Smugmug. Just was curious if anyone else had seen this issue. Only thing I might do is tell my kids to have both browsers installed and try one or the other if they are having problems. That and keeping their cache cleaned, etc.

Trying to make sure Smugmug works with all the possible permutations of OS, hardware, browsers, and connections to the Internet must be an "interesting" job : )

Thanks,

Tarl

I have the same problems, still looking for answers. It was fine two weeks ago with an older version. Yes I agree smugmug is great.

e-cam.smugmug.com