idea for 77...does it say system?

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 6, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
had my first trip thru O'Hare Int'l last night (chicago) and it was definitely an intimidating system to navigate! took this shot and worked a bit on it, comments greatly appreciated.
107954551-L-0.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    I think of station....but system maybe? haha. train...system? I guess it makes sense....yes....it does.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • davidmigldavidmigl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Right now, it doesn't really say system to me - the shadows are too crushed and I can't discern much detail in them.
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    davidmigl wrote:
    Right now, it doesn't really say system to me - the shadows are too crushed and I can't discern much detail in them.

I think it's kind of a neat photo myself. Have you ever been to O'Hare? You're not missing anything in those shadows, trust me. To me it conveys the huge, impersonal feel O'Hare has, and I don't think it would if you could see more of the details. Is that selective color on the woman? I usually don't like that.

It doesn't really say system to me, but then again few things do. This is a particularly tough challenge for many people.

By the way, urbanaries, I understand O'Hare has a crack team of schedulers dedicated to making sure that as many people as possible have to run all the way across that airport. They do their job exceedingly well.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    I think it's kind of a neat photo myself. Have you ever been to O'Hare? You're not missing anything in those shadows, trust me. To me it conveys the huge, impersonal feel O'Hare has, and I don't think it would if you could see more of the details. Is that selective color on the woman? I usually don't like that.

It doesn't really say system to me, but then again few things do. This is a particularly tough challenge for many people.

By the way, urbanaries, I understand O'Hare has a crack team of schedulers dedicated to making sure that as many people as possible have to run all the way across that airport. They do their job exceedingly well.

I did a fair amount of PP to this image, deepened the shadows quite a bit to make the woman the focal point. I am not sure I'd use the selective color again, still pondering that. This is a really tough challenge. The word is so abstract and is usually not by itself...."sound system", "buddy system", "Rail System", etc. I may just use one of the beautiful maternity shots I got on my trip to CA and title it "Reproductive System." rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    I did a fair amount of PP to this image, deepened the shadows quite a bit to make the woman the focal point. I am not sure I'd use the selective color again, still pondering that. This is a really tough challenge. The word is so abstract and is usually not by itself...."sound system", "buddy system", "Rail System", etc. I may just use one of the beautiful maternity shots I got on my trip to CA and title it "Reproductive System." rolleyes1.gif

Hey, reproductive system works for me. I've thought of "beating the system" and "system for betting" but I can't think of a way to photograph them in a reasonable way.

Looking at this a little more, I think the selective color here does work. It might work if she were B&W as long as she were still pretty bright.
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    I like the diea, but the fact that you put the focus on the lady and away from the airport takes away from what you want to achieve which is for us to focos on the airport itself. I though more along the lines of this lady being lonely. My thoughts anyway..... Good work.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    nalvarez wrote:
    I like the diea, but the fact that you put the focus on the lady and away from the airport takes away from what you want to achieve which is for us to focos on the airport itself. I though more along the lines of this lady being lonely. My thoughts anyway..... Good work.

very goood point. I was thinking she was overwhelmed by the system, but editing this a different way might achieve that better. Thanks for your input!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    I like the shot alot, but no it doesn't say system to me.

Malte