Options

Halfway round the world - Whitsunday Islands

PyxiePyxie Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited November 5, 2006 in Journeys
I've been halfway round the world in the past year and have too many photos to even begin counting them all.
So I'll start somewhere near the beginning, on an overcast August morning in Airlie Beach on the Central Queensland Coast where two friends and I (and 10 other people) took off on a 3 day yacht cruise of the Whitsunday Islands.

SUC50518.jpg

The weather didn't look too promising as we set out, but there was plenty of wind to do some real sailing and blow the clouds away.
It was about a 3 hour sail from the mainland to the Islands and on the way we were joined by a few migrating humpback whales. Unfortunately they were a little camera shy so instead I turned my camera to my friend and caught him in a suitably nautical pose as he was pointing out the whales.

IMG_0494.jpg

That night we anchored in a quite bay, which is one of the few places on the east coast of Australia where you can see the sun setting over water.

IMG_0501.jpg

The following day we headed on to the main attraction - Whitsunday Island itself, with a scenic views like this the whole way there.

IMG_0528.jpg

So here we finally arrived at Whitsunday island, taken ashore by our trusty dinghy

IMG_0533.jpg

and after a short walk through the bush we were graced by the beautiful white silicone sands of Whitehaven Beach

IMG_0534.jpg

But to see what we really came to see required another short walk through the bush to the lookout point where you can really appreciate the swirly sands at Whitehaven.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Once we'd all absorbed as much of these views as we could, we headed back to the rocky beach, piled into our trusty dinghy and headed back to our yacht.

SUC50820.jpg

We did some snorkeling that afternoon and the following day but I didn't think it wise to take my 300D with me for fear that it might not work... ever again... :nono

So we saw the Islands, we saw some whales and swam with the fishes, and with all said and done we turned around and sailed home

IMG_0548.jpg

Oh, and by the way... our trusty dinghy...

SUC50641.jpg

Not so trusty. :rofl
..Who am I? I'm indecision. I'm everything. I'm nothing. And I may even be both...

Comments