Super newbie saying hi and asking at the same time

MWarsameMWarsame Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 9, 2006 in Cameras
Hi guys

Just got this site's link from cgtalk, and I must say, this is amazing :lust
I started my own photography just after I finished my college course.
At college, we used an SLR film camera as well as a DSLR. However, I have a Sony DSC H5 which isn't a DSLR, do you think I can achieve a proffesional photography? (I worned ya, its a super newbie question :andy), in other words, does the equipment matter? if so, can Sony DSC H5 be used as a pro tool?

cheers guys

Comments

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    I think you can take great pictures no matter what the camera. (I've seen some pretty fantastic pics taken with $5 disposables). SLR's just give you more options to make great shots. Nice to meet you, btw. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Finally H5 owner here welcome i also use H5

About your question i think it depends on what your client needs headscratch.gif
    i dont thnk h5 can work as full time pro cam headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Hi and welcome! To reiterate what's been said, your camera is capable of producing pro shots in certain circumstances, but probably not extreme photographic situations. Every camera has is limitations and strong points, just try and learn what yours are and don't be upset if you push the camera too far and don't get pro results. That said, being in the right place at the right time, knowing your subject, having a unique point of view or showing something that the world has never seen is the mark of a real pro, and the real geniuses could do it with whatever's in thier hands. Many of history's greatest photos are technically crappy. Just shoot, and don't believe all us lens sluts crapping on about the next thing we "need." Hope to see some of your shots soon,

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • MWarsameMWarsame Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2006
    Sorry for the late reply guys

JenW: thanks, one of our lecture showed us some of his great images shot by 'one-time use' cameras.

Awais Yaqub: hehe, glad I'm not the only one who shoots with H5 mwink.gif

ESiggins: thanks m8, I was actually playing with my camera today and discovered even further functions that I didn't know :toni:D
    The greatest mistake I ever did was I bought the camera in a package (512MB memory stick, carry bag and the camera) for £400, when I could've added just another £60 and got a Nikon D50 with a basic lense :cry

Thanks again guys
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Awais is liek the only person I know who still uses a P&S and produces great images. Just check out his gallery.

However, if you want to expand your abilities, you really have to save up for a DSLR. I used to use my Sony F828, which works wonders, however, due to the small sensor, I was limited to using ISO speeds of 64-200 only. It was harder to take low light photos handheld without a flash unit, however I was still able to make great images (I took home the Dgrin challenge for 'Long Exposure' a few months back with it). So you cant use the camera as an excuse for bad portraits. The camera is just as good as the person using it!

I say, just keep shooting more and more, save up some money while doing it and expand yourself and your equipment as time comes along. Nothing beats experience.

;)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 7, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Awais is liek the only person I know who still uses a P&S and produces great images. Just check out his gallery.

Let me also remind everyone of Yuri Pautov. He used to use a Sony 707 to produce marvelous images, mostly portraits.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4349

Now he mostly uses a Sony R1 advanced digicam, and produces similar gorgeous images, consistantly awesome.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31474

Don't forget this image (among many) by Andy, taken with the Sony F828:

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/popular/1/32362680/Medium

Check this gallery for the FinePix F30:

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/fuji_finepix_f30&page=all

Light, lens and camera all combine to make images, but it is the photographer, and their use of all the elements of photography, that make the best images, regardless of camera.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 7, 2006
    Hey super newbie: it's not the camera, its the photographer! Learn to use what you have, then worry about moving onwards/upwards later.

BTW, fill out your profile, maybe tell us where you're from? then kick back, share some photos, and enjoy.

Welcome wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Awais definitely has the eye. That's why he makes good images with his more limited camera.

That being said, limitations are contigent upon strengths, and inextricably wound up in them. There are a lot of things that a P&S can be good for.

How useful is your DSLR if you don't take it with you because its too heavy.

Or if security guards see it and won't let you take it into the big sporting event.

Or if you are downloading CF cards/Changing lenses, whatever when Lance Armstrong runs by (happened to me this weekend).

Or if your subject feels uncomfortable when you point a 6 inch tube in their face, and that discomfort is visible in the shot.

A P&S always makes a nice backup, or even a principal camera. If you are starting out, it a great idea to use a cheaper digital to familiarize yourself with the sorts of things that you need out of a digital camera, and the sorts of shots that you take. It's pointless to buy a canon instead of a Nikon because you might eventually be able to get a sweet canon tilt/shift lens, and then discover that you like shooting street and doc better than architecture. (or the other way around).

A canon powershot, for example, doesn't have a sensor that different from my 20d, and my partner in crime has produced some great images with one. The best image, hands down, that I have ever seen of post 9/11 Manhattan was taken with a powershot. So use your P&S, and stand proud!
    Cave ab homine unius libri