Triumph of the Will- NYC Marathon 2006

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited November 7, 2006 in Sports
Over 37,000 people ran in the New York marathon today, from likely every country in the world, but the ones that impressed me most were the first ones to come barreling down 1st ave. at about 10:15 this morning- the leading pack of the handicapped division (the handicapped elite and handicapped regular divisions depart the start line before the mens and womes divisions). I myself couldn't walk 26 miles (42 kilometers) and I'm perfectly able, although not terribly fit. To see these folks overcome enormous physical challenges, and excell, was a truly amazing thing.

I'll post process and put up the rest of the photos later tonight:

108171340-M.jpg
Group Leader at Mile 16

108174787-M.jpg
"drafting" (using a leader to shield the wind and conserve your strength for a later breakaway) is a common tactic.

108184749-M.jpg
One of the competitors wheels is vibrating as he passes us at mile 16, not a good sign with 10 more to go. About 150m further down the road, the wheel comes off, and he is out of the race.

108179279-M.jpg
Police remove the damaged vehicle from the track

108233429-M.jpg

108212792-M.jpg
Women's lead group

108212988-M.jpg
Maintaining a pace for 26 miles requires intense concentration

108219365-M.jpg

108223836-M.jpg

108238172-M.jpg
Mean's lead group

108240658-M.jpg

108242367-M.jpg

108251909-M.jpg

108253537-M.jpg

108206002-L.jpg
From the Roosevelt Island Tram, much cheaper than renting a helicopter.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Cool shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Nice Idea getting it from the Tram. :)
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Tram shot thumb.gif

I see many of the same faces as I did in Boston this spring. Did you see Lance or any other celebrities? NYC always seems to be the one they train for.

My good friend ran it... finished in 2:49, 6:28 minute/mile! bowdown.gif
    (beat Lance)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    I saw Lance, but I was downloading my CF card to my portable drive when he ran by (serves me right for not bringing my back up card, D'oh!). You could tell it was him because of the camera chase crew- He did pretty well, but apparently found the race a lot harder than he expected. It may not be as long as the tour de France, but climbing up the queensborough bridge after running for 13 miles or so has to be daunting.

I'm deeply impressed with the athleticism of the folks there, this was (to my great surprise) one of the best sporting events that I have attended. I was planning to get some nice shots of bodies in motion- but I found myself geting caught up in the crowds excitement and enjoying it as a simple sporting event as well.
    edited November 6, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    but I found myself geting caught up in the crowds excitement and enjoying it as a simpel sporting event as well.
    Yup, very easy to do, especially in NYC. I have been there a couple times, each time only got a few requisite photos of my friend/s in the race. While in Boston this spring, however, being further out of the city, I was able to get quite a few really good shots.

Forgot to comment, the wheelchair racers are pretty amazing, eh? And that guy on the skateboard!? eek7.gif Wow, that's determination.
    Erik

edited November 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yup, very easy to do, especially in NYC. I have been there a couple times, each time only got a few requisite photos of my friend/s in the race. While in Boston this spring, however, being further out of the city, I was able to get quite a few really good shots.

Forgot to comment, the wheelchair racers are pretty amazing, eh? And that guy on the skateboard!? eek7.gif Wow, that's determination.

Yeah, that guy was haulin' ass as well. There was a great variation in the speed of the handicapped "runners", primarily due to the fact that they were using a great variety of equipment. There were a few people running with prosthetic legs, one guy with only one leg and crutches (all of these folks outpacing what I could do even in a short race, much less 26 miles). That's why I titled the thread" triumph of the will." To complete a marathon, even as an ablebodied runner, requires an inordinate amount of mental and physical stamina.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Yeah, that guy was haulin' ass as well. There was a great variation in the speed of the handicapped "runners", primarily due to the fact that they were using a great variety of equipment. There were a few people running with prosthetic legs, one guy with only one leg and crutches (all of these folks outpacing what I could do even in a short race, much less 26 miles). That's why I titled the thread" triumph of the will." To complete a marathon, even as an ablebodied runner, requires an inordinate amount of mental and physical stamina.
    Did you by any chance see the person pushing the wheel chair w/ Ski Poles? And had a great pace! I think I have a picture, but I missed a close up...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited November 6, 2006
    evoryware wrote:
    Did you by any chance see the person pushing the wheel chair w/ Ski Poles? And had a great pace! I think I have a picture, but I missed a close up...

I did. But Again, I was dumping my CF card, so I missed the shot.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    "Triumph of the Will"

Interesting title - this was the title of the film made by Leni Riefenstahl for the Third Reich
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 7, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    "Triumph of the Will"

Interesting title - this was the title of the film made by Leni Riefenstahl for the Third Reich
    eek7.gif woops!
    Erik

edited November 7, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    "Triumph of the Will"

I chose it deliberately as an ironic counterpoint to the sort of sports images Riefenstahl portrays in her film. Although, unquestionably, the movie is an aesthetic masterwork, the political content is, to say the least, suspect. All of the bodies in LR's film are perfect, immaculate, almost like greek style sculptures. The handicapped participants in the Marathon are a complete contrast- what they lack physically, however, they more than make up for with intensity and determination. To my mind this is a far more significant triumph of the will than that demonstrated simply by being beautiful and German. LR's film is artifice. This is reality.

the title is a way of "flipping the bird" (I would use a different term, but Andy maintains that this is a "family friendly" sort of site) to the ideology that the film celebrates, and to its adherents or those like them, be they actual nazis or simply fashionistas.

I'd like to see something like this as an ad campaign:

108739907-M.jpg

That would be pretty effective.