Portrait lens advice,

TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited November 13, 2006 in Technique
Evening all,

I have the opportunity to do some corporate photography work for the company i work for. Mainly portraits from what has been talked about so far. My question what is the prefered focal lens for this type of work. The bonus here is that they are going to pay for my efforts.
Cheers
David Clifford

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Evening all,

I have the opportunity to do some corporate photography work for the company i work for. Mainly portraits from what has been talked about so far. My question what is the prefered focal lens for this type of work. The bonus here is that they are going to pay for my efforts.

Depends on the type of portrait and the amount of space you have between you and the subject. But it is usually hard to go wrong with a 100mm especially for headshots. I get good work done with a 50mm too.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Evening all,

To be honest, you need to provide some better information about what exactly you are shooting with (camera, lighting, etc) Also, will it be outdoors or studio work?

Well, just to take a stab at this, I'll assume that you have a Canon camera since its more or less what I know and use... My ideal setup with a Canon 5D, 1D series or 30D would be to have a soft diffuser, flash bracket, 85mm f/1.2L or f/1.8 glass. Another good portrait lens is the 50mm f/1.4L, and the 35 f/1.4L is wonderful for wide angle shots. The flash would be a 580ex with a fill flash bracket. Anyway... just my .02c thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Depends on the type of portrait and the amount of space you have between you and the subject. But it is usually hard to go wrong with a 100mm especially for headshots. I get good work done with a 50mm too.

Thanks Shay,

Appreciate the feedback and will go with the 50mm for the time being.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    To be honest, you need to provide some better information about what exactly you are shooting with (camera, lighting, etc) Also, will it be outdoors or studio work?

Well, just to take a stab at this, I'll assume that you have a Canon camera since its more or less what I know and use... My ideal setup with a Canon 5D, 1D series or 30D would be to have a soft diffuser, flash bracket, 85mm f/1.2L or f/1.8 glass. Another good portrait lens is the 50mm f/1.4L, and the 35 f/1.4L is wonderful for wide angle shots. The flash would be a 580ex with a fill flash bracket. Anyway... just my .02c thumb.gif

Hi there Pezpix,

You are very correct, I should have given all the info. I shoot with a Canon 30D and 350D I have the 50mm 1.8 and a bunch of others but this is the fastest of them.

The portraits will be indoors in the office enviroment. I have the Sigma 500 flash at present but plan on picking up the 580ex for this project.

Cheers and appreciate your feedback and sugestions.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • 01af01af Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    I shoot with a Canon 30D and 350D I have the 50 mm 1.8 and a bunch of others but this is the fastest of them. The portraits will be indoors in the office enviroment.
    For persons at their desks, in front of their computers, or at the machines they're operating (i. e. portrait shots that include a bit of a person's typical environment), a 50 mm lens on an APS-C-format camera is perfect. For head-only portrait shots however, it's just a bit too short. So in addition to your 50 mm lens, bring along a zoom lens that includes the range from, say, 70 to 100 mm (fully or part of it). Lens speed doesn't matter very much; minimum focusing distance matters more. Most standard zooms and short-to-medium-telephoto zooms are appropriate. For group shots, also bring a (moderate) wide-angle lens, e. g. 24 mm (can be a zoom, of course).

-- Olaf
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    The 50/1.8 will serve you well enough. Stop it down to f/4 and you will be fine. As for lighting, I would put the 580EX and a silver umbrella on light stand and use a reflector for fill. The easiest way to do that is to get the ST-E2 optical trigger to put on the camera. If you can rig a second flash, I would probably put it on a boom above as a hair light and shoot against a dark background.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    ok i am bit of a renegade when it comes to this but here are my favs for portrait work....a medium zoom 28 - 70mm(35mm equiv) & 70 -200mm zoom f2.8 or 4......I like longer lenses so I am not right in YOUR face shooting and so things in the under 70mm are for me too short unless I am doing wide angle and trying to enclude some of the persons personal (or work) enviroment....if it just to be standard head / shoulder or full length potraits in the home or office then I opt of the 70 - 200, unless of course it is just toooooo confining to use even at 70 - 100mm..then you must opt for shorter / wider lens.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    ok i am bit of a renegade when it comes to this but here are my favs for portrait work....a medium zoom 28 - 70mm(35mm equiv) & 70 -200mm zoom f2.8 or 4......I like longer lenses so I am not right in YOUR face shooting and so things in the under 70mm are for me too short unless I am doing wide angle and trying to enclude some of the persons personal (or work) enviroment....if it just to be standard head / shoulder or full length potraits in the home or office then I opt of the 70 - 200, unless of course it is just toooooo confining to use even at 70 - 100mm..then you must opt for shorter / wider lens.

On a full frame body, I agree that you don't want to go wider than 70mm or so, but I think that on a crop body 50mm is workable (effective 80mm). For posed head shots on a crop body my first choice would be the 85/1.8 but if I had the 50/1.8, I am not sure I would buy a new lens just for one job.
  • rebelxtnewbierebelxtnewbie Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Hi there Pezpix,

You are very correct, I should have given all the info. I shoot with a Canon 30D and 350D I have the 50mm 1.8 and a bunch of others but this is the fastest of them.

The portraits will be indoors in the office enviroment. I have the Sigma 500 flash at present but plan on picking up the 580ex for this project.

Cheers and appreciate your feedback and sugestions.

I don't know much about the Sigma flash, but the 580ex is excellent! As for a lens choice...what other lenses do you have? I like the 100mm for portraits. The bokeh is smoother than the 50mm. I heard the 85 f/1.8 is nice too.
    Lenses: A Never Ending Revolving Door of stuff

Equipment ~ $5K, Income from pictures ~ $0K, Memories ~ Priceless
    edited November 9, 2006
    The 85/1.8 is a great lens. The bokeh is much smoother than the 50/1.4 and the AF is both faster and quieter. If you are planning on picking up a new lens for portraits and you don't want to shell out for L glass, this is the one.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I don't know much about the Sigma flash, but the 580ex is excellent!

As far as I've seen, the 580ex is indeed way better.

I don't really like Sigma flashes' light quality… it feels… "flashy". :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • leanne-bleanne-b Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Have to chuck in my 2 cents worth ... I use 50mm as I like to get in fairly close (without too up close and personal) ... my old instructor would shoot me for that though - he would always say always go with something like 100mm. Sounds like you have it sussed.