Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon

ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited November 9, 2006 in Cameras
I got up early to wait for the UPS man. At about 9:30 I strolled out front for a cig and stuck my hand in the mailbox out of habit. Little yellow piece of paper saying "Delivery Failed - 9:00am". No freakin way. I called UPS and they sent the driver back. I practiacally attacked him at the door...

This lens is sweet. If I was a Canon shooter I might go for the name brand, but since Nikon is behind the times on crop-sensor lenses, I got the Sigma and man is it sweet. Heavy, solid build, nice feeling full-time focus ring, quiet, very fast AF, zoom ring is stiff, but this baby's staying at 10mm so who cares? It focuses INSANELY close. It is VERY sharp. It produces totally useable interior shots at ISO 800, F4 and 1/20. It also comes with a 4 year warranty so if I encounter any of those Sigma QC problems I can get the bastard fixed. I'm a happy boy.

Fred.
Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
http://esiggins.smugmug.com

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    So nice! I want to buy one around xmas for myself.
    Mind posting a few pics taken with this lens? Possibly
    a full size jpeg link?

/me lusts after this lens, oh yea!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I agree about the sharpness. I have this lens too. I find it difficult to use because it's so wide, but used for what it's made for...it does a great job. Solid build, nice finish, etc...all like you said. Have fun with it!

I don't have a full size jpg to offer, but here's a scaled down shot of a scene in Chicago from earlier this year - using the Sigma 10-20.

108908470-L.jpg
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I agree about the sharpness. I have this lens too. I find it difficult to use because it's so wide, but used for what it's made for...it does a great job. Solid build, nice finish, etc...all like you said. Have fun with it!

I don't have a full size jpg to offer, but here's a scaled down shot of a scene in Chicago from earlier this year - using the Sigma 10-20.

^
    ^
    ^ Show-off.rolleyes1.gif Just kidding. - Seneca
    edited November 9, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    ^
    ^
    ^ Show-off.rolleyes1.gif Just kidding. - Seneca

Hey wave.gif The man asked for a picture :P Laughing.gif

What I meant by difficult to use is - it's so wide it's hard to find subjects that fill the frame without having unwanted subjects in the frame too. Also the clouds in the sky tend to blow out sometimes, but there's probably not much I can do about that. Usually it's not an issue.
    edited November 9, 2006
    kygarden wrote:

Too bad, maybe a 100% crop?

/me admits to be a pixel peeper at times
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I'd be interested in such a lens, I like wide angle portraits very much (not too close to people, though)…

How good is it at 20? What about the curves, the lines?
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 9, 2006
    Ok, here ya go. This was actually at 20mm. I applied a little sharpening in Nikon Capture, but that's it.

http://nikon-photog.smugmug.com/photos/109120184-O.jpg

That's the full size image.
    edited November 9, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Ok, here ya go. This was actually at 20mm. I applied a little sharpening in Nikon Capture, but that's it.

http://nikon-photog.smugmug.com/photos/109120184-O.jpg

That's the full size image.

Yeehaw! Very sharp! But on the right side its much
    more soft than on the left isnt it? thumb.gif
    ― Edward Weston
    edited November 9, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Yeehaw! Very sharp! But on the right side its much
    more soft than on the left isnt it? thumb.gif

I noticed that too. Not sure why that is. I was on a moving boat if it matters.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Hey wave.gif The man asked for a picture :P Laughing.gif

What I meant by difficult to use is - it's so wide it's hard to find subjects that fill the frame without having unwanted subjects in the frame too. Also the clouds in the sky tend to blow out sometimes, but there's probably not much I can do about that. Usually it's not an issue.

I know I was only kidding. I admire all your work...wings.gif
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I noticed that too. Not sure why that is. I was on a moving boat if it matters.
    I have this lens too, and one thing that I read about while researching it is that this seems to be a common fault and you could probably send it back for one that is sharp all the way accross. (edit: Assuming that this affects other photos not taken from a moving boat :D)

Here are two uncropped (not at 20mm unfortunately)

10mm f11:
    http://dancorder.smugmug.com/photos/91254652-O.jpg

12mm f4.5:
    http://dancorder.smugmug.com/photos/91255157-O.jpg

To my eye these are equally sharp all the way accross. (Though perhaps not as sharp as they could be if I had better technique :D)
    edited November 9, 2006
    Now thats some stunning sharpness! At low mm the Sigma realy shines. bowdown.gif
    ― Edward Weston