Band rehearsal

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited November 8, 2006 in People
I'm finally starting doin' some music related shooting. Any (repeat ANY) comment and critic is welcome.

108369644-L.jpg

108370216-L.jpg

108370750-L.jpg

And some vertical one:

108369023-L.jpg

108368151-L.jpg

108367605-L.jpg

EXIF:
Kodak TMax 400 @ 400 (#1,2,3 & 4 @ 800), Olympus OM2n
Film developed w/ Kodak Xtol 1:1, 9'30" (10' @ 800) @ 20°
Printed on Tetenal TT Vario Comfort, developed w/ Eukobrom 1:9
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I'm finally starting doin' some music related shooting. Any (repeat ANY) comment and critic is welcome.

EXIF:
    Kodak TMax 400 @ 400 (#1,2,3 & 4 @ 800), Olympus OM2n
    Film developed w/ Kodak Xtol 1:1, 9'30" (10' @ 800) @ 20°
    Printed on Tetenal TT Vario Comfort, developed w/ Eukobrom 1:9

These shots prove that sometimes, there just is no duplicating the gritty, atmospheric feel of TMax. These shots are wonderful....I feel like I'm there. The Fender is one of my faves, although I think the DOF is a tad too shallow. I also like the drums. The border you've used works brilliantly here. Nice work.

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Focus PocusFocus Pocus Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Nice series! I love B&W! Thanks for the flashback to days spent in the darkroom.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Looks like something you would see on the back of an album cover...ok I mean I CD cover...I was showing my age with that "album" word. rolleyes1.gif

But great shots.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    i dig the first two a lot. i think these shots would be much less interesting without the frame around them
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

Lynne, thanks, the Fender one is my favourite too, unfortunately the light were so dim that I couldn't close the diapraghm anymore (I was using a 28/2.8). Looking at the real print (30x40) you can see some microblur due to the slow shutterspeed and my poor technique. The film was pushed at 800ASA but I think the shutter was around 1/15.

Focus Pocus, thanks. After switching to film I embraced B/W completely. I used to shot mostly B/W in digital too so it was very natural for me.

Seneca, album are still around! Beautiful 180g vinyl records. Go out and check yourself. :D Thanks for your comment, it was exactly what I was lookin' for, casual shots that could fit an album (or CD) inner sleeve.

Binghott, thanks for your inputs. Don't know if it's positive or negative tough. Do you mean the shots would be useless without the framing? I print the full negative cause I don't like to crop (and it's a good exercise too). That's why all my print have frames. Please explain.... headscratch.gif:D

edited November 7, 2006
    judah wrote:

Lynne, thanks, the Fender one is my favourite too, unfortunately the light were so dim that I couldn't close the diapraghm anymore (I was using a 28/2.8). Looking at the real print (30x40) you can see some microblur due to the slow shutterspeed and my poor technique. The film was pushed at 800ASA but I think the shutter was around 1/15.

ok, looking at it now with your shutterspeed and ASA, I have even more appreciation for the shot. It has so much character, and the dust & scratches really add to the feel.

RE: frames, I am curious how you achieved the "spattered" style frames? Is it really in printing or in digital post-processing? They're really great.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited November 7, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    ok, looking at it now with your shutterspeed and ASA, I have even more appreciation for the shot. It has so much character, and the dust & scratches really add to the feel.

RE: frames, I am curious how you achieved the "spattered" style frames? Is it really in printing or in digital post-processing? They're really great.

Frames: Lynne are you tryin' to kill me? :D Digital what? :D No, aside from jokes it's just the negative carrier edges showing up in print. They used to be perfectly straight but I grinded'em a bit and this is what you get. Unfortunately there is no undo and you cannot turn back. You can use an easel to print straight edges thou. I'm having a friend of mine lasercutting an easel in stainless steel to be used both for straight edges and to keep paper as flat as possible on the enlarger base. It's basically a passepartout made of steel. Thanks for you comments. Very much appreciated. iloveyou.gif

• NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Cool shots!
    I love #1,2 and 3 the most.

I really like the atmosphere you captured here. Reminds me of my days in the garage... :D
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    there are good pictures, here thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 8, 2006
    Nordic wrote:
    Cool shots!
    I love #1,2 and 3 the most.

I really like the atmosphere you captured here. Reminds me of my days in the garage... :D

Hi Nordic,
    thanks for your comment. I'm still very much into the underground music scene here, lots of days spent in the garage! :D

edited November 8, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    there are good pictures, here thumb.gif
    Hi Antoine,
    thanks. Very much appreciated. :D

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Binghott, thanks for your inputs. Don't know if it's positive or negative tough. Do you mean the shots would be useless without the framing? I print the full negative cause I don't like to crop (and it's a good exercise too). That's why all my print have frames. Please explain.... headscratch.gif:D

if the pictures didnt have the cool white borders i don't think they would be as great
    edited November 8, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    if the pictures didnt have the cool white borders i don't think they would be as great

Ok. Got it now. Understand what you mean. :D

edited November 8, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Ok. Got it now. Understand what you mean. :D

I guess it means "there are good pictures here" :D but not only. For instance that one (beard guy) seems just a guy's pic to me. Like you were too far from him, or something. In fact, you shoot with Tmax, but you didn't manage to catch the light on his face, while being close to. This other one, with the sound engineer, has pretty much the same default, to me, plus too flat a light. Guess you should have (to me…) focused on his face, with some details showing he's the sound engineer.

Still, I really like the other pictures, this is the "good mood" of a studio :)thumb.gif

In fact, it reminds me the day I shot a rock concert, it was the first year I was using a camera… with film ! Yes, fellow grinners, I knew the time when there was film into our cameras :D FujiPress 1600, in a F90x :
    ad_c039-22.jpg
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited November 8, 2006
    Thanks Antoine for all your inputs, very much appreciated. The shot with the bearded guy is just a casual shot that will fill the inner sleev of their upcoming CD.
    Very nice shot you posted here. How do you play drums without cymbals? :D

edited November 8, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Thanks Antoine for all your inputs, very much appreciated. The shot with the bearded guy is just a casual shot that will fill the inner sleev of their upcoming CD.
    Very nice shot you posted here. How do you play drums without cymbals? :D

I play heavy metal. :D

Seriously, it's a "behind the scene" shot, backstage.
    edited November 8, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    I play heavy metal. :D

Seriously, it's a "behind the scene" shot, backstage.

Just kiddin Antoine. :D
    It's a really nice shot. Let me feel the vibe before the show, you know those hours when you do soundcheck, people start to pack the place up, tension is building.....wings.gif

edited November 8, 2006
    Update
    I uploaded some more shots from the same sessions. Had to stop printing after these, last night it was freekin' cold and the heater wasn't working. Took me almost 5 minutes to get full development! eek7.gif

108893352-L.jpg

108893514-L.jpg

108893785-L.jpg

edited November 8, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I uploaded some more shots from the same sessions. Had to stop printing after these, last night it was freekin' cold and the heater wasn't working. Took me almost 5 minutes to get full development! eek7.gif

First one's a little flat, but all these three pictures will find a good place on a cd sleave thumb.gif
    edited November 8, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Frames: Lynne are you tryin' to kill me? :D Digital what? :D

Yes yes, I'm on to you...you broke into my house and set up your slides to play on my film projector behind a glass window that I have connected to a manual typewriter, so I could see them non-digitallyrolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI