Options

Dallas....and Chicago????

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited November 21, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
I have a super quick work trip coming up and want to know if there are any must sees and dos when i am in the city...it's a wine and dine type of operation so we;ll be living it up for a couple of days, but of course i will be taking my camera!!!

I wondered if you folks have any suggestions! I'll be in the arts district in Dallas and in chicago close by navy pier..... And any photog supply shops that i should absolutly NOT miss????

Also I am wondering about carry ons on the plane, any photog equipment that i should leave in my checked luggage? Do you run into problems going through customs or through the searches with your stuff? What should i expect!?!

I've been to the states and have flown before, but I've never flown to the states before!!! So it's a little New to me!

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    Well I leave tonight........

Thanks for all the hints tips and suggestionsthumb.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, man, missed your original post.

Chicago: go up the Sears Towers, to shoot cityscapes. Not sure if they allow tripods or not. Shoot the elevated train, very cool. The Chicago River winds through the city and has neat bridges, with boat traffic. Millennium Park and The Bean - very futuristic.

Sorry, have no idea what Dallas offers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, man, missed your original post.

Chicago: go up the Sears Towers, to shoot cityscapes. Not sure if they allow tripods or not. Shoot the elevated train, very cool. The Chicago River winds through the city and has neat bridges, with boat traffic. Millennium Park and The Bean - very futuristic.

Sorry, have no idea what Dallas offers.

Many thanks!!! this is the kind of stuff i was looking for! Thanks for the reply!:D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited November 19, 2006
    Second what Sid mentioned and I'll add to walk out along the peninsula towards Adler Planetarium and then look westwards for a great view of the city while out about ½ mile. Lots of photogs have shot from there. Hopefully the weather will be nice while you're here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    Just walk the streets in Chicago. You're bound to find something worth shooting.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I wonder if you couldn't get a nice skyline from one of the boat tours on Lake Michigan?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I went to Dallas a week ago. I did not take many Dallas photos, but I did visit some tourist locations.

Dallas Visitor Info.

Art District Info.

The Dallas Museum of Art is very large and has some excellent exhibits.

I was also told by my friend that lives there, that the Nasher Sculpture Center is not to be missed, which of course I found out about too late. I believe the majority of it is outdoors, but I don't know if photography is allowed, if it is that could be very cool.

I also went to the aquarium, which was pretty nice and the Six Floor Museum which deals with the Kennedy assassination. It has an enormous amount of information.

50 free things to do and see around Dallas.