Options

Usually post in F&S but...

thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited November 9, 2006 in People
I had my 3 boys (including 15 month old) in tow during an attempted landscape session which turned into a 'shoot-the-kids-for-mom' session.

file.jpg

file.jpg
Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Nice shots! Gorgeous sunset!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    eek7.gif I'm trying to get a great friend of mine to come along so we can shoot sunset and sunrise shots together...so far no answer.

Those are great.
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    The first shot is very beautiful, touching, and COMMERCIAL.

I don't know how to explain it, but it really does something for me. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Thanks Jim, Seneca, and Owen bowdown.gif

I actually consider these shots pretty lucky considering I left the tripod in the car and shot these while still trying to hold onto my 15 month old.

Otherwise he might have ended up in the water and then I'd have to answer to my wife :argue

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Very nice. Only issue I see is that the subject is dead center, in the first pic it hurts the image a bit.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Very nice. Only issue I see is that the subject is dead center, in the first pic it hurts the image a bit.

I agree 99% of the time but with this image I wanted my son Lukas to seem small, isolated, and centered.

I might try and shoot it again tomorrow and maybe push him over to one side or another yet still get the islands in the background and avoid some buildings on the right too. I'll let you know how it works Truth.

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Love the last one!
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    First one works for me.. subject iin the middle and all....... love the colorclap.gif
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    thdizzy wrote:
    I agree 99% of the time but with this image I wanted my son Lukas to seem small, isolated, and centered.

…and it works: third's rule only exists to be burnt :D

This first picture is both nice and scarry: it reminds me of those films where there's only a few hope… or something. thumb.gif

Second one's more common to me, yet it works well ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I particularly like the second shot, I agree with Truth about the composition of the 1st which because the subject is looking to the left, for me would have been better balanced if the lad was further to the right in the image, if I obscure part of the right hand side of the image it feels better to my eyes, but hey, it's all subjective.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    really nice sunsets ...I too think that both pics work quite well and like the others the first is my fav....wish i had them like that here in Ks...thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    at first I liked the 2nd better, but now that I look at it again, the 1st is really captivating. While I am not a fan of center compositions, I don't feel like this fits that description. The subject (little boy) is in the bottom third of the frame horizontally, and while very close to the center vertically, the diagonal line of the surf directs your eye otherwise.
    this is one of those images that haunts you in a beautiful, personal way. I love it....and suspect your wife (the momma) will love it even more.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Wonderful Shots !
    weldone my friend clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Thanks everyone bowdown.gif Especially for the fact that most of you reaffirmed my decision to put my son in the middle of the image and ignore/break the rule of thirds law :D

Regarding the sunset - We usually get those here in So Cal when the Santa Ana winds blow all the SMOG and dust out over the ocean; that's what causes the awesome colors.

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006