Options

My Trip Down Highway 1 (lots of pictures)

2»

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am sorry if you interpretated my answer to Charles as criticism - It certainly was not, nor was it intended to be critical in any manner. I was merely saying that my monitor and his seem in sync. - Perhaps I should have answered him by PM.
    I stated that the color was an artistic choice not necessarily an accurate representation. Again Dave, I am sorry if my comments were thought to be critical, they were to be informative, not critical.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures and envied you the day. I am sorrry if you are spending the holidays alone - I understand that that is not the happiest way to spend the holiday and I did not realize that was the situation when I posted. I have not been down highway 1 in years and enjoyed seeing the sites again. I spent some happy time at Pescadero Beach while a student in Palo Alto years ago.

It was 4 below zero here last night and is still cold and overcast today. I did find a dog playing ball in the snow late this afternoon who seemed blissfully happy to chase an old Rutt-green colored tennis ball.
    13196715-M.jpg

13196718-M.jpg

Great shot of the dog! I remember winters at home with my dog. I'm not sure what snow does to these creatures, but its fun to watch!

Here is a pic of my dog, Phantom.
    6505696-M.jpg

No worries on the color comments. I just wanted to keep discussion from getting too technical. Lately I've steered clear of most forums for the measurebating going on, and kept to myself. While continuing to take pictures almost daily, I didn't post one for weeks at a time.

I guess dpreview burnt me out. While trying to do some research for lens & camera purchases, I saw countless threads where some poor guy just wanted to share only to have it smashed to pieces by everyone looking for noise, backfocus, color shifts, CA, purple fringing...etc.

Sorry if I came off harsh.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I was just concerned about my viewing since they seemed rich enough to have caused comment. I am also spending the holidays mostly alone. Come to Boston and visit if you like.

I'd love to make a trip to Boston. I spent a lot of time there a few years ago working on optical network gear. I remember a restaurant in particular...I think its called kingfish? We went there as a group and had the best time ever. Lots and lots of drinks & what seemed to be the best seafood ever....partly due to the lots of drinks.

I want to get back east for a few weeks to take some pictures. I'd love to look you up in my journeys.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I stayed, mid-week, in Morro Bay a few weeks back for $59/night--comfy
    room with a fireplace and a view of the rock. Bay View Lodge.

ian

This looks perfect. When we travel, we like to spend very little on the rooms. Since we are very active couple, a minimum is actually spent indoors. This leaves a lot more $$ in the budget for food and activities :D

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Thanks for the tour Dave! Wonderful!

Last time I was there was in 2000.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    3. We should get together one of these weekends and photograph the coast together. There are numerous spots along the coast. You can easily take a day to go from Half Moon bay to Santa Cruz and still miss a ton!

I have included a shot from Bean Hollow. Just up the coast from Pigion Point Lighthouse.

Dee,

Great info posts!!!

I have printed them out and will match them up on a map later.

That is an awesome shot of the seal. What lens did you take that with? I'm guessing a pretty good zoom, unless they were used to people.

I'd love to take another trip down the coast. I wasn't able to visit Carmel on my adventure, but did do a drive-by. A very net looking town. The architecture is amazing. Looks very expensive by the cars lining the streets.

Lets watch the weather & schedule some good trips in the coming weeks. I'm sure there will be others from the local group that would like to come too.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Phil U. wrote:
    Dave - great stuff. Thanks for the virtual-visit.

Thanks Phil. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Hopefully I'll be able to take some more trips in the near future. I've got a long list of places I need to go :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Duartes! I love it. Hot artichoke soup and fresh snapper and chips. Mmmm. I need to get out there again...it's been too long.

http://www.duartestavern.com/

Your images definitely seem to have a Velvia 50 feel to them. Very warm oranges and reds, with very cool blues. I shot a lot of Velvia in my film days, and quite honestly...I never really liked it that much rolleyes1.gif, however if you like Velvia, your images definitely resemble it.

Just to spread the "wealth", I also agree that Charles' images seem a little flat. However, most of them have a very unique style, and I think that's cool.

Hey Fish! I actually thought of you when I was turning onto the 17-mile drive. I saw a resturaunt out of the corner of my eye, and I swear it was called fishwife. I wasn't able to turn around due to heavy traffic, but I googled it when I got home.

Looks like a great little place. I'll have to stop there next time.

I see your location now says Farallon Islands? Does work take you out there? Just watch out for sharks & take lots of pics deal.gif

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I admit to not liking to, either 'overly' sharpen or saturate and that the 'overly' part is a matter of personal taste. Never really thought of myself as having "a very unique style" so thanks.

It seems I go through phases while I search for my own style. The last week has been my Velvia days. I'm sure this will be over in a week or so, then who knows what's next.

For someone to say you have a unique style is a great compliment. My stuff is all over the board, but I think I'm starting to find myself the last month or two.

Dave
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I'd love to make a trip to Boston. I spent a lot of time there a few years ago working on optical network gear. I remember a restaurant in particular...I think its called kingfish? We went there as a group and had the best time ever. Lots and lots of drinks & what seemed to be the best seafood ever....partly due to the lots of drinks.

I want to get back east for a few weeks to take some pictures. I'd love to look you up in my journeys.

Dave
    Visit me in either Somerville MA, or Cebu Ph and don't worry about a hotel. We would have a great time shooting together and there are as you mention a lot of great restaurants.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Great shot of the dog! I remember winters at home with my dog. I'm not sure what snow does to these creatures, but its fun to watch!

Here is a pic of my dog, Phantom.
    6505696-M.jpg

No worries on the color comments. I just wanted to keep discussion from getting too technical. Lately I've steered clear of most forums for the measurebating going on, and kept to myself. While continuing to take pictures almost daily, I didn't post one for weeks at a time.

I guess dpreview burnt me out. While trying to do some research for lens & camera purchases, I saw countless threads where some poor guy just wanted to share only to have it smashed to pieces by everyone looking for noise, backfocus, color shifts, CA, purple fringing...etc.

Sorry if I came off harsh.

Dave

Not to worry Dave - I hesitated to post about the color originally because I did not want to sound critical. I never was very comfortable on dpreview either for the reasons you describe - too much like a cat fight. I prefer discussing images to hardware, altho I do like nice equipment.

I want to keep dgrin a friendly and comfortable place where we can get honest feedback about our work.
    The images of Highway 1 were lovely renditions of the west coast and the warmth of the colors were appropriate. You have been posting a number of lovely images - I especially enjoy the night shots of the Golden Gate bridge. My bridge shots are of a more humble origin....
    13234392-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Thanks for brining up good memories!
    I've been there about 6 years ago.. Time flies.. Still can recognize every "point of shooting", though... :-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    13152070-S.jpg

13152074-S.jpg

Dave

Dave,

I really enjoyed looking. I'd love to do that. Gotta talk the wife into vacationing while stopping annoyingly often and waiting annoyingly long times while I shoot. She'll love it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Don't want to get too "technical" on you ;) but I was going to ask you if on the first lighthouse shot, which I like a lot, had you thought about running dXo on it? Your camera's supported--but no--the D70's supported, and you had to go and break it. (again, I'm winking ;) Anyway, I like the shot, and as a learning point, I wonder if you or anyone more learned than me could use it as a tutorial on how to compensate for lens distortion with architecture. I'd love to know how to straighten that lighthouse out.

Also, I like the Lone Cypress. I have this shot that I scanned along with my family photos. It's a picture my parents took on their honeymoon. Is it the same tree?

13273431-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Hey Fish! I actually thought of you when I was turning onto the 17-mile drive. I saw a resturaunt out of the corner of my eye, and I swear it was called fishwife. I wasn't able to turn around due to heavy traffic, but I googled it when I got home.
    Too funny...I just forwarded the link to fishwife. mwink.gif

I see your location now says Farallon Islands? Does work take you out there? Just watch out for sharks & take lots of pics deal.gif

Dave
    Work doesn't take me out there...breeding does. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    I've been there about 6 years ago.. Time flies.. Still can recognize every "point of shooting", though... :-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

You have a great memory! I had to take notes while shooting to remember what file # went with which location :D
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dave,

I really enjoyed looking. I'd love to do that. Gotta talk the wife into vacationing while stopping annoyingly often and waiting annoyingly long times while I shoot. She'll love it.

I have the same problem with my gf. She loves to come along when I take pictures, but once we get out I can tell she is bored. I've tried to get her into photography, but she just isn't interested. So I had to move on to plan B, bribe her with food & drinks when we finish :D

That seems to work for now...haha
    DavidTO wrote:
    Anyway, thanks for sharing. Don't want to get too "technical" on you ;) but I was going to ask you if on the first lighthouse shot, which I like a lot, had you thought about running dXo on it? Your camera's supported--but no--the D70's supported, and you had to go and break it. (again, I'm winking ;) Anyway, I like the shot, and as a learning point, I wonder if you or anyone more learned than me could use it as a tutorial on how to compensate for lens distortion with architecture. I'd love to know how to straighten that lighthouse out.

This shot was difficult because of my vantage point. I was shooting wide (17mm) and well below the lighthouse. I've corrected the vertical distortion, but it still looks like its falling back, but I can live with that. To correct most distortion, I use a little tip I found in the Hall of Wisdom

I've looked at the dXo software, but dang it's expensive. I don't have room in the budget for that now. I feel the crop method works well, and that money saved goes a long way on weened trips.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Also, I like the Lone Cypress. I have this shot that I scanned along with my family photos. It's a picture my parents took on their honeymoon. Is it the same tree?

13273431-S.jpg

Thats the same one! Great shot you've got there, and a piece of history. This is before the tree & surrounding property was purchased by Pebble Peach Enterprises and the retaining wall was built.

After taking the photo, I found out that you can not sell images of the tree. It is a registered trademark of Pebble Beach. They actually have a full team of people to search the web & prosecute if they find the image for sale. What a pitty. Corporate America can actually take things a little too far at times. Now that I think about it, I'm going to copywright & tradmark rain. I guess I'll get the lawyers working on that asap :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Work doesn't take me out there...breeding does. :D

I'm curious, but I'm not sure I want to know...hahaha

Dave
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    That is an awesome shot of the seal. What lens did you take that with? I'm guessing a pretty good zoom, unless they were used to people.

I'd love to take another trip down the coast. I wasn't able to visit Carmel on my adventure, but did do a drive-by. A very net looking town. The architecture is amazing. Looks very expensive by the cars lining the streets.

Lets watch the weather & schedule some good trips in the coming weeks. I'm sure there will be others from the local group that would like to come too.

Dave
    The seals were taken with my cheapo Tamron 70-300, @ 300. I can get some ok shots, but it is soft.

Carmel is a little on the $$$ side. There is a neat little resturant south of Carmel on Hwy one off to the right over looking the ocean. We stoped one day on the bikes just for some soup. Good thing to, because the dinner menu comes with a home mortgage application.

As far as meeting up for a day to photograph the coast, it's so close, I don't need a lot of planning. I lust need an excuse. :D

I like the weather on the blustery side. The ocean is much more exciting when the waves are crashing instead of softly rolling up to the rocks, and the sky can be interesing as well. Here is a photo by Pigion Point Lighthouse looking the other way. The sky lated for maybe 5 minutes, then was gone. :cry