Options

Need help, and here is a photo

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited November 7, 2006 in Wildlife
taken sunday, yesterday!

But first, I am trying to weed down from 80 photos to 20. They are all in one gallery. Actually, as I shoot I may have more, and I have spares in another gallery. But tackling just this one gallery, ohhhhhhhh, it would be such a help if you (anyone and everyone) would look in your spare time and leave a comment (just yes or no would be enough).

They are mostly birds, as the committee liked my birds best. Some are birds that you, Harry have commented on favorably, some that others appeared to like.
then there are more recent ones..........

This show is in the main library! For a month, in the Saul Alexander Gallery. I have to frame and present my photos well. I can leave a price list and cards. SAM has had excellent framing advice. My daughters are my "partners" in that. Kind of I took the photos.............now, uh, how do I pay for this stuff. They are agreeable, in fact it was their idea. After the first of the year, we will start firming up the framing info and make solid plans that way.

The committee who chose the artists (paint, photography, sculpture, etc?), they were interested in new work that has never been shown before. None of mine has been shown anywhere, smile. They strongly emphasized that since we live in the low country of SC, they were only interested in photos that represent this area.

I submitted 50 landscapes and birds on a CD. I am pleased that mine were chosen. I did read what they wanted and tried to "give" them that. Besides, we all know that all of my photos are of the low country. I can't afford to leave it. When I first talked to the woman, I mentioned that. She is very nice.

The CD was gone over by the committee, my work was accepted with the words that my birds are my strong point. I know, I know, that others here shoot better birds. But that is what they said, and I feel I need to go with it.

So, it is 20 photos all total, mostly birds, representative of the low country, particularly South Carolina.

I have included about three landscapes. ????

I have included no raptors, they are definitely not my strong point, and I did not submit any photos of raptors. Though I do take them.

This is the gallery addy. The show is in July, so a look see from time to time with a comment of "yes" or "no" on a few photos, well, that would be a help and can be done over time.

This is the gallery addy:

http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/gallery/2087508/1/64347528

Now, This is a photo I took yesterday: cold, windy, night approaching, yet I got this photo for dailies. Since not all of you look at dailies, I will post it here.

I will try to post a photo a day or so, here, too, and I will try to be more diligent about commenting on other's photos on dGrin. Any help here, even the least help, would be appreciated.

I know that some of you helped Harry pick his photos to enter in the gatorfarm contest and that he did well. I have done well to get a whole gallery for myself for a month. For me to do well, it would be recognition and sales. Plus, hopefully a more permanent arrangement. Just some way to pay for my "vice" here.

This was yesterday, a Tri Color Heron in the marsh grass. (kind of blue isn't he.) I did not do that, the light must have caught him right. Plus, I only sharpened the bird. Just an artistic decison. Never know, just never know.

108288859-L.jpg

Thanks for any help, any comments and any look sees! I hope you enjoy my tri color. I also hope I get out of here in time to go find some more birds today.

Smile,
ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Ginger,

Congratulations on having your photos picked for display at the library.

You have so many wonderful photos that it is hard to choose. Since you can leave cards with pricing to sell the photos I tried to pick photos that I think people would want purchase. From what I have seen, some of your landscapes are fantastic. clap.gif

These are the photos that I picked from your gallery on Smugmug. Along with recognition it is always nice to sell a few prints.

Page 1 (across) 8,9,12
    Page 2 2,3,8,12
    Page 3 2,4,5,8,12,14
    Page 4 5,8,15
    Page 5 1,6,12
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Sandy wrote:
    Ginger,

Congratulations on having your photos picked for display at the library.

You have so many wonderful photos that it is hard to choose. Since you can leave cards with pricing to sell the photos I tried to pick photos that I think people would want purchase. From what I have seen, some of your landscapes are fantastic. clap.gif

These are the photos that I picked from your gallery on Smugmug. Along with recognition it is always nice to sell a few prints.

Page 1 (across) 8,9,12
    Page 2 2,3,8,12
    Page 3 2,4,5,8,12,14
    Page 4 5,8,15
    Page 5 1,6,12

Thanks, Sandy, it is such a help to get that feedback! I will print this out and go look at them. Probably noting which ones, smile.

That is what I am interested in: what will sell. I like all of them, so it is not for me. I worry a bit about what might be a cliche with certain photos taken at popular plantations, but other than that, it is what would look like a Wall hanger as opposed to something else.

Thanks again, ginger
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    taken sunday, yesterday!

This was yesterday, a Tri Color Heron in the marsh grass. (kind of blue isn't he.) I did not do that, the light must have caught him right. Plus, I only sharpened the bird. Just an artistic decison. Never know, just never know.

108288859-L.jpg

Thanks for any help, any comments and any look sees! I hope you enjoy my tri color. I also hope I get out of here in time to go find some more birds today.

Smile,
    ginger

Personally I think this is stunning....yes i would like to see more color in the grass but nature doe not always provide just exactly what we want that way....One beautiful Bird.

Do you know how to clean up this pic a bit...by getting the bird more out in the open...by cloneing out he grass going over the body....that is all I would do...just open it up a bit....Now just for disply this is great but to offer for sale I would try to open the Heron up a bit as mentioned above.

Did I say this was stunning....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Thank you, Art! I will consider that! Thanks............for the praise. It was not a good day for photos. Didn't get out today, am going to find something else from that day, yesterday, YIKES, hope I can!

ginger
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Hey Ginger,

I don't have time to go over all 60 shots in your gallery right now and I'll be busy tomorrow as its election day but I'll sit down Wednesday after I sober up and PM you my choices.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    My suggestion for the Heron photo......color balance.....less magenta more green. Selecive Color.....add a little black to the blue, it brings out the wing tip.

Giner, again a very nice catch.

Sandy
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Hi Ginger, long time no see! Hope you're doing well.

Congrats thumb.gif

You asked us to choose those to display and so I did. This time I have to look with "other" eyes to the subject which is not easy. I have to say "NO" to some while very nice otherwise. Still I browsed, voted and give stars to nearly all your great captures. I hope you can figure out a killer collection.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Thank you so much to everyone who helped with my selection for the exhibit. I was amazed when I looked at that Gallery to see the number of responses to what is a time consuming "chore". It was a bit daunting when I first looked to think of going to each photo, etc. Plus everytime one comments that darn "scam" stopper puzzle has to be filled in.

That was an amazing response. I completely appreciate it!

I took some photos out of that gallery last night. I have a gallery that I move photos to when I take them out. I think it is private for no real reason, but it is my "system", smile, for keeping things "straight".

Anyway, it is down to 50 some now which will make it easier on anyone who comes after you faithful from yesterday.

Harry, I certainly can appreciate your being too busy yesterday, and today certainly is election day (a rainy one here with few exciting issues). I will be thrilled when you do get a chance to look at the photos, but I understand the delay completely.

And the actual exhibit is not until July.

Thanks again, all. I know that was an incredible favor you all did!

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Sandy wrote:
    My suggestion for the Heron photo......color balance.....less magenta more green. Selecive Color.....add a little black to the blue, it brings out the wing tip.

Giner, again a very nice catch.

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy for those tips. I tried to do that photo last night, after midnight. I was a bit tired to be cleaning up grass. I will have to look again.

I did it all, but I removed some of the magenta in selective colors. I was working on a whim and from memory and didn't think to use LAB or any "real" color balance tool, so I didn't do anything about more green.

I didn't post the result here, I will check again today to see if using color balance helps. I sure don't want to clean up the grass again, but I may have to at some point. I thought it was better though, I may post as is. I brought out the color a bit more in the grass as I remember someone mentioning how we could wish for more color in the grass, so I may post it. It as a "bit" here and a bit there. I could never repeat.

Thanks for the tip with the black and the wing tips. Does that work on white or does it muddy it, and I suppose I will be finding out for myself at some point.

That was very valuable advice, thank you!

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Personally I think this is stunning....yes i would like to see more color in the grass but nature doe not always provide just exactly what we want that way....One beautiful Bird.

Do you know how to clean up this pic a bit...by getting the bird more out in the open...by cloneing out he grass going over the body....that is all I would do...just open it up a bit....Now just for disply this is great but to offer for sale I would try to open the Heron up a bit as mentioned above.

Did I say this was stunning....:D

Hi, Art. I worked on cleaning up the grass last night, plus acted on most of Sandy's tips. I will look at it again and may post it.

Thanks for the advice!!! And the "stunning" comment. That gave me the incentive to try to make it better, smile!

ginger (I did not clone the grass over the feet.......I will post it, but the legs and feet were just a bit "unclear" and I do not have the patience, or didn't, to remake the feet, smile)
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    I left comments on my favorites in that gallery Ginger. Some very nice work there. Well done and congrats.

I hope the show goes well for you.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Oh, thanks so much Greaper!!!!

This is the tri heron from yesterday. I cloned some of the grass away, I just looked at the feet and thought...................maybe he could keep his feet in the grass??? Just before he clears it, smile.

Sandy, anyone, if you see this, does he need more green in the blue? I took out some of the magenta, a bunch, actually.

108288859-L-1.jpg