Ignorant needs help

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited November 7, 2006 in Finishing School
:dunnoI have a photo like the one herewith and I need to transform it to another with the same pixels but under 1,5 MB, keeping the EXIF.:dunno
How am I supposed to do ?
I use CS2.
Thank you.
:thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Try using the "save for web" option.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Save for web destroys EXIF data
    So try to save it as a jpg use 6-8 as the number...

Hope that works.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Save As, adjust quality level
    ne_nau.gifI have a photo like the one herewith and I need to transform it to another with the same pixels but under 1,5 MB, keeping the EXIF.ne_nau.gif
    How am I supposed to do ?
    I use CS2.
    Thank you.
    thumb.gif

As Dee said, if you have to keep exactly the same pixels and EXIF, then your ONLY variable is the JPEG quality level. The Save As dialog in Photoshop for JPEG will preview how big the file will be. Dial the quality level down until you hit your desired size, then load the generated JPEG into PS to see if it's acceptable.

If the quality is not acceptable at the compression level that hits your desired size, then you will need to reduce the pixels a bit (Image/Resize) and increase the JPEG quality level to an acceptable level to hit the 1.5MB number. You'll just have to iterate between JPEG quality level and number of pixels until you find the best combination. If it takes a lot of iterations, you might use Save for Web, not to save your final image, but to experiment with settings that look good enough and hit the desired size because that interface is much more interactive. The EXIF should only be 1-2kb max.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    As Dee said, if you have to keep exactly the same pixels and EXIF, then your ONLY variable is the JPEG quality level. The Save As dialog in Photoshop for JPEG will preview how big the file will be. Dial the quality level down until you hit your desired size, then load the generated JPEG into PS to see if it's acceptable.

If the quality is not acceptable at the compression level that hits your desired size, then you will need to reduce the pixels a bit (Image/Resize) and increase the JPEG quality level to an acceptable level to hit the 1.5MB number. You'll just have to iterate between JPEG quality level and number of pixels until you find the best combination. If it takes a lot of iterations, you might use Save for Web, not to save your final image, but to experiment with settings that look good enough and hit the desired size because that interface is much more interactive. The EXIF should only be 1-2kb max.
    Thank you all. thumb.gif
    After all I am not that ignorant.eek7.gif
    What Friend says, I was doing already but I thought that another more simple procedure would be possible.
    The given anwsers were very useful.
    May be the simplest and best procedure is "to reduce the pixels a bit (Image/Resize) and increase the JPEG quality level to an acceptable level to hit the 1.5MB number" like Friend said.
    Friend made justice to him name. thumb.gif A friend is a friend and Friend is one of them. :D
    Thank you again to all of you. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook