Options

Eligible portrait? Please let me know.

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited December 29, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my latest inutero portrait of my soon to be born daughter. Taken with a GE Accuscan 3D scanner and then photographed with my Nikon D70.
Are ultrasounds eligible??

Mitch

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    This is my latest inutero portrait of my soon to be born daughter. Taken with a GE Accuscan 3D scanner and then photographed with my Nikon D70.

Mitch
    WOW,I see a face of a grown person in the ultra.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:

Mitch
    Looks a bit like a tattoo....Great image.....thumb.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    Looks a bit like a tattoo....Great image.....thumb.gif

Bodwick, not seen you for along while, good to see you back.

Surely that will be like a scan of a pic... not sure
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Bodwick, not seen you for along while, good to see you back.

Surely that will be like a scan of a pic... not sure

Hi Stan,

I don't post a great deal but do keep up with whats what on site..... I'm allways happy to have a good laugh at Fish's foto's :D

It would be classed as a scan or a picture of a picture. Just caught my eye as MHJS said it looks like an adult face and for me like many tattoos I've seen..

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    Hi Stan,

I don't post a great deal but do keep up with whats what on site..... I'm allways happy to have a good laugh at Fish's foto's :D

It would be classed as a scan or a picture of a picture. Just caught my eye as MHJS said it looks like an adult face and for me like many tattoos I've seen..

Bod.
    Actually, I took a picture of the picture printed from the ultrasound machine. I guess this was either not allowed, or the picture was not up to snuff for the contest.

mitch
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Actually, I took a picture of the picture printed from the ultrasound machine. I guess this was either not allowed, or the picture was not up to snuff for the contest.

mitch
    I thought 5 of the chosen finalists were just very good snapshots and that yours was actual art. Maybe not a winner and maybe having some technical issues but deserving a chance. But I disagree with Andy on his prescreening enough that I tend to regard the process as seriously flawed. I like to participate, to critique folks and to be critiqued, but I am not submitting images nor am I voting. To me the value is there but it is in the discussion and learning before the prescreening. I am really glad that Fish started the challenges and I certainly apreciate the work and organization that Andy has done after taking over. He does hard work. I also recognise the issues involved in prescreening. I just chose to opt-out of the part i do not like.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I thought 5 of the chosen finalists were just very good snapshots and that yours was actual art. Maybe not a winner and maybe having some technical issues but deserving a chance. But I disagree with Andy on his prescreening enough that I tend to regard the process as seriously flawed. I like to participate, to critique folks and to be critiqued, but I am not submitting images nor am I voting. To me the value is there but it is in the discussion and learning before the prescreening. I am really glad that Fish started the challenges and I certainly apreciate the work and organization that Andy has done after taking over. He does hard work. I also recognise the issues involved in prescreening. I just chose to opt-out of the part i do not like.
    Charles,
    Thanks for your kind comments regarding my submission. I really submitteted it as a lark because I thought it was an interesting ultrasound portrait and wanted to share it with the people on this site who I thought would appreciate the image. I commend Andy for his hard work with these challenges. Personally, I found most of the pet entries more compelling than the portraits of people!
    I think you are missing the value of these challenges. For me, they compel me to take pictures of things I normally would not. They also force me to think outside the box which helps me with my creativity. My last entry was probably the best photograph I've ever taken. I walked around my house with a prism in my hand for several hours before I finally took a picture that I liked!! My wife thought I was nuts, but I was proud of my picture. I was beaming when I was selected as a finalist. I even checked the site while I was on a cruise to see if I was selected! ($.50/minute internet access).

mitch
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Charles,
    Thanks for your kind comments regarding my submission. I really submitteted it as a lark because I thought it was an interesting ultrasound portrait and wanted to share it with the people on this site who I thought would appreciate the image. I commend Andy for his hard work with these challenges. Personally, I found most of the pet entries more compelling than the portraits of people!
    Ain't that the truth. Portraits are difficult and the challenge was a good topic to stretch all of us.
    Mitchell wrote:
    I think you are missing the value of these challenges. For me, they compel me to take pictures of things I normally would not. They also force me to think outside the box which helps me with my creativity. My last entry was probably the best photograph I've ever taken. I walked around my house with a prism in my hand for several hours before I finally took a picture that I liked!! My wife thought I was nuts, but I was proud of my picture. I was beaming when I was selected as a finalist. I even checked the site while I was on a cruise to see if I was selected! ($.50/minute internet access).

mitch
    That is exactly the part that I treasure, the learning, the effort, the stretching. It is just, at the end of the day, the prescreening takes away all the value of the voting for me. I embrace and really like the part that I do find valuable. I am not the only one who feels this way, just the only one who doesn't care about the socialdisapprobation caused by mentioning it.
    :D
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph