P&S Camera Advice

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in Cameras
I need to get a new P&S Camera for our Lab. Good macro capabilty is highly desired. My budget is $500, and I don't feel limited to any specific manufacturer.

Anything exceptional on the market right now? Or would any Canon PowerShot with IS be sufficient?
Chris

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    I have read reviews of canon 12x and sony 12x (h5) i think both recomended H5 including dpreview you must read in review section
    Infect my dad bought H5 for macros and i asked a lot beofre buying it,it do superb macros and Closeup filter can be used (58mm).Comes with adapter and hood canon don't
    Fits in 500$
    Well i dont know bit about canons never used it once did and found hard to use as i am 2 year old sony boy :D

Macro insects you can see camera info all recent are with H5 :D
    http://awais.smugmug.com/gallery/988631
    more other images can be seen in my homepage
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    I have read reviews of canon 12x and sony 12x (h5) i think both recomended H5 including dpreview you must read in review section
    Infect my dad bought H5 for macros and i asked a lot beofre buying it,it do superb macros and Closeup filter can be used (58mm).Comes with adapter and hood canon don't
    Fits in 500$
    Well i dont know bit about canons never used it once did and found hard to use as i am 2 year old sony boy :D

Macro insects you can see camera info all recent are with H5 :D
    http://awais.smugmug.com/gallery/988631
    more other images can be seen in my homepage
    Great stuff, Awais. I've seen most of those shots posted here! I still have my old Sony DSC-P7, my first digital camera and it still takes good pictures. So I definitely won't rule out Sony.

I'll take a closer look at the H5. Thanks for the info!
    Chris
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Do you have a preferred size? If you are looking for a very small one, I highly recommend the Canon Powershot SD700 IS. Great camera, has IS, and has a very good macro mode. (focuses down to 3cm from the subject)

If you don't mind something a bit bigger, I'd spring for a Powershot S3 IS. IS, 12x zoom, plenty of MP, nice size, and flip out LCD.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited November 8, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Do you have a preferred size?

I'm not set on size... smaller is nice, since the camera may go on some airplanes.

3cm is is pretty darned close, definitely more than adequate... I don't really think a flip-out LCD will be that useful to us, and just something else that could break.

Do any of the newer P&S cameras still support RAW? Neither the G7 or Sony H5 do...

The other feature that has been useful in the past is built-in time lapse? This feature was on our old Kodak 2 MP, does it exist in new cameras?
    Chris
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Will they let you procure from Ebay....there have been lots of KM A2's in the very recent past ...shoots raw has equiv of 28 to 200mm lens, 1:1 macro ability...with anti shke turned on : hand holdable for a couple of seconds...I have new ones on EBay as well as the A200 (newest of KM's A series)....A2 was *mp and I am guessing the A200 is the same...where as the A1 was (I beleive) 5MP.....not a shirt pocket camera but it will fit nicely into a coat pocket.

Here is one that looks great on EBAY
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I'm enjoying my Fujifilm F30.

Great manual features. Excellent ISO options...including the first P&S to have ISO 3200. It's quite noisy at 3200...but IMO, a noisy pictures is better than a blurry picture. ISO 800 rivals Canon powershots from what I've read and seen on dpreview.com.

I got mine for a little over 300 on Beach Camera.
    edited November 10, 2006
    I went and physically looked at cameras yesterday, and I think the bigger P&S's are out (Sony H5, Canon S3). Just too bulky. The Canon A630 was a nice compromise size-wise, so I'll look for something in its dimensions.

I didn't see any Konicas there, and they had one Fuji, but I hadn't read about the F30 before I went.

Oh, and I can not buy of E-bay, Art... :nah

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming... It's definitely helped me narrow it down.
    Chris