Options

critique please for novice

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 18, 2004 in Technique
Hi,

Ive been out taking snow shots all afternoon... (what else is there?) There are a couple on "show us your best" and this one... I could really use some input if anyone has a mo.
Thanks
Lynn

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2004
    I have taken literally hndreds of boring pictures of trees with snow on them in the last few months.

This is much better than the VAST majority of them. I think your exposure is good. The snow in the shadows has a bit of a blue tint to it, (like most of mine) but i dont know how to get rid of it, or if the photo would be improved.

Sorry I am not much help.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 10, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi,

Ive been out taking snow shots all afternoon... (what else is there?) There are a couple on "show us your best" and this one... I could really use some input if anyone has a mo.
    Thanks
    Lynn
    What Image Editing Program are you using? I like the diagonal line the river makes from lower left to upper right - the slight blue cast in the snow might be corrected by selecting the snow with a selection tool of your choice and then using the Color Balance path to edit the Highlights and reduce the blue tone in them.
    You might also be able to multiply the area of the reflection and blend it some to increase its tone and color saturation. Or you can increase saturation with the sponge tool also.
    Do you need to include the little bit of sky at the top of the frame? Does it add anything to the image? Sometimes we are afraid to crop out the sky and yet it may not really be necesasary for the best image - just a few thoughts that occur to me. I think the picture has possibilities - Your exposure overall seems well chosen.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    Lynn, that's a lovely shot. The composition is wonderful. The only thing I notice is that perhaps you missed the best light. My monitor is dark... but is the left bottom corner as dark as it seems? That's my only quibble. You're doing an excellent job of learning your new camera! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn, that's a lovely shot. The composition is wonderful. The only thing I notice is that perhaps you missed the best light. My monitor is dark... but is the left bottom corner as dark as it seems? That's my only quibble. You're doing an excellent job of learning your new camera! thumb.gif
    Thank you Sid... from you I'll take that...I've messed with it a bit.. is it any better? and would you crop it? I kinda liked the trees at the top, a small reflection of the trees in the water.. or the other way round. I'm struggling on staggering about in the woods alone snapping away... having fun. I messed with the other one too. Comments please. I need all the help I can get.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    this was the other one....
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    I sure would have tried a PL filter on this
    lynnma wrote:
    this was the other one....
    I was getting overpowering white flash from the water surface that changed the aspect of the whole image. It just seemed to overwhelm the camera. The filter made a big change in my white egret shots, too. Got a couple of shots of the same subjects, same time, different PL filter rotation coming. Both from my Oly c2500L, with a 2X add on and full 3Xbuilt in zoom.
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    This one with the PL filter rotated 90 degrees
    Full PL filter effect
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thank you Sid... from you I'll take that...I've messed with it a bit.. is it any better? and would you crop it? I kinda liked the trees at the top, a small reflection of the trees in the water.. or the other way round. I'm struggling on staggering about in the woods alone snapping away... having fun. I messed with the other one too. Comments please. I need all the help I can get.
    Lynn, please don't take any brightness/contrast suggestions from waxy until he gets a new monitor. The first shot had plenty of detail the the lower left corner.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    Full PL filter effect
    I think I like it with the glare better. More contrast. But that's just my preference.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Lynn, please don't take any brightness/contrast suggestions from waxy until he gets a new monitor. The first shot had plenty of detail the the lower left corner.
    Hey MYOB. :thwak
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Lyn,, that looks terrific. As I said before, my monitor's a little dark, but it looks great on mine! You're really starting to get some good shots. And we can commiserate together about the bad ones!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    I was getting overpowering white flash from the water surface that changed the aspect of the whole image. It just seemed to overwhelm the camera. The filter made a big change in my white egret shots, too. Got a couple of shots of the same subjects, same time, different PL filter rotation coming. Both from my Oly c2500L, with a 2X add on and full 3Xbuilt in zoom.

tsiya, that's an excellent photo. I really like how it's framed and also the exposure. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey MYOB. :thwak
    ESADMF :D
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    I have a feeling you're not allowed to spell that one out. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    FISH!!! I just figured that out!! an' I'm an ole' lady!!!
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    FISH!!! I just figured that out!! an' I'm an ole' lady!!!
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    FYFF is one thing, but man, EASDMF is pretty harsh. Good thing there was a smiley on the end of that. mwink.gif

Oh, and do you have permission to use that acronym? maybe just a link next time...

Lynn, I like your shots. Snow is very tough, snow and water is tougher! So my usual question, where were those (roughly)? Quabbin again?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    FYFF is one thing, but man, EASDMF is pretty harsh. Good thing there was a smiley on the end of that. mwink.gif

Oh, and do you have permission to use that acronym? maybe just a link next time...

Lynn, I like your shots. Snow is very tough, snow and water is tougher! So my usual question, where were those (roughly)? Quabbin again?
    Hi Eric,
    no they were around Tully Dam/Tully campground area. I think this is Tully brook. I was desperate to get some water shots and forgot Tully Dam would be frez.. this was not as you can see. I was about here: http://www.goldmedalconcours.com/Tully/Tully.htm

it's a very pretty spot. Must be lovely in summer. Thanks for the vote of confidence.. I appreciate it, I've always been a very lousy photographer, maybe theres hope...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Eric,
    no they were around Tully Dam/Tully campground area. I think this is Tully brook. I was desperate to get some water shots and forgot Tully Dam would be frez.. this was not as you can see. I was about here: http://www.goldmedalconcours.com/Tully/Tully.htm

it's a very pretty spot. Must be lovely in summer. Thanks for the vote of confidence.. I appreciate it, I've always been a very lousy photographer, maybe theres hope...
    Tully is an awesome swimming and hiking spot! in the warmer temp of course...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    I think you've got a couple great pictures there Lynn thumb.gif

What makes the first image work for me is the glare off the water in the top center of the picture. The glare helps to highlight the wonderful reflections in the water. I like the way the reflections are very sharp and veritcal. They contrast nicely with the softer edges of the snow and ice.

Very well done.

By the way, I'd love to get your thoughts on these shots I put up the other day.

-Eric
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Blue snow => color balance
    GREAPER wrote:
    ... I think your exposure is good. The snow in the shadows has a bit of a blue tint to it, (like most of mine) but i dont know how to get rid of it, or if the photo would be improved.

I seem to recall reading about "blue snow" effects recently ... it's probably a white-balance
    issue caused by the auto-white-balance setting on your camera choosing an
    incorrect color temperature to balance against when it produced your JPEG
    image. You can probably fix it somewhat in Photoshop/etc but, if you
    originally recorded the photo in JPEG mode, you might lose a bit of picture
    information/detail when/if it's re-color-balanced later.

If a shot is saved in your camera's RAW mode, you can correct the color balance
    in the digital darkroom later without loss. ...This leaves you with the ultimate
    amount of control later -- but the downside is that you have to
    color-correct outside the camera every shot taken in RAW mode.

Well, that's my understanding -- anyone else is welcome to shoot holes in it.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Lynn
    I like the first one. It gives me the impression of the day ending, the sun going down, and the temperature dropping.