Piano Solo

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in People
I am planing a European holiday next year, so naturally there will be a lot of architectural photography to be done, so I thought I'd visit one of the Sydney cathedrals and try some settings. I did few test shots and was about to leave when I heard this man playing piano. There was this huge empty cathedral, two of us and his music. I took one photo of him with his approval but without interrupting his performance.

Settings... Wait for it: hand held 1/7s at 12mm and iso800 (so I hope you don't mind bit of grain)

Lonely-Piano-Solo-In-Cathedral-MG_9182.jpg

Click on the image or the link to see bigger photograph.
As always you are welcome to visit my photoblog

Comments

• judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Very nice shot. As usual from you. I like the square crop but would like to see more details on his face. If you drop by Italy let me know if you need any help.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Thanks Judah. His face was not lit enough by anything to show details. I may try to boost this a bit when I have time in photoshop.

This time we are skipping southeren Europe - simply not enough time. It will have to wait for the next time.
    judah wrote:
    Very nice shot. As usual from you. I like the square crop but would like to see more details on his face. If you drop by Italy let me know if you need any help.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Nice Ted. I would go the other way ... burn in the face to a detailless black only the glasses and some top hairs reflecting light (including the ear and hair). Next I'd darken the window a tad and possibly the top of the hands and a slight bit on the fingers.

Very nice shot. If you're on a roll lets see what happens if you darken up that cloth thing on top of the piano (piano cover?).

So what was he playing?

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 9, 2006
    I will try various edits on this shot over the weekend.

I could not recognise the music - it was none of the popular classics I can identify.
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Nice Ted. I would go the other way ... burn in the face to a detailless black only the glasses and some top hairs reflecting light (including the ear and hair). Next I'd darken the window a tad and possibly the top of the hands and a slight bit on the fingers.

Very nice shot. If you're on a roll lets see what happens if you darken up that cloth thing on top of the piano (piano cover?).

So what was he playing?

Gary
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Ted, that is a really nice "composition" (sorry for the pun). Your eyes are led around the image by the body of the man and the curves of the organ torso.

Nice work!

btw, is that a staircase in the background?
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    love the depth in this picture!
    edited November 12, 2006
    Thanks. And yes, it is a staircase.
    Ted, that is a really nice "composition" (sorry for the pun). Your eyes are led around the image by the body of the man and the curves of the organ torso.

Nice work!

btw, is that a staircase in the background?
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:

I agree! Whether you darken him or brighten the background, it's going to just get better. I love the composition and being in B&W, but think my eye jumps around a little too much. Staircase, piano player, staircase, piano player... I want to have one main subject and then a secondary one...

This is a wonderful shot with a lot of potential!!