Challenge 28 - Sandy's "New Photos"

SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
edited December 27, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Lot's of portrait opportunities this weekend. Comments please.

13199069-L.jpg

13199070-L.jpg

Comments

• muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    clap.gif Wow! Incredibly cute, and excellently lit, that first one.

The second one, amazing "spiderwoman" pose, even the fingers caught lingering near the handprint! Wow!clap.gif

How to decide between the two? Well the first seems to me more portrait-like while the second more a glamor pose?

Gary

Sandy wrote:
    Lot's of portrait opportunities this weekend. Comments please.

13199069-L.jpg

13199070-L.jpg
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Thank you Muddyknees. I was happy with these shots also:

13233982-L.jpg

13233983-L.jpg
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    #2 all the way.Wonderfulthumb.gif
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    My favorite is the first one. Really well lit. But I would try cropping it to remove the window from the picture.

Maybe something like...

13235491-L.jpg
    edited December 26, 2004
    Thanks Judy, I think removing the window was a good idea. I tend to think the legs add to the photo.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Thanks Judy, I think removing the window was a good idea. I tend to think the legs add to the photo.
    Sandy, I have to admit, I like the legs cropped out of the image. Call me a prude or just a father of a little girl...whatever, but I think the clothing and positioning of the lower body isn't appropriate for a girl that age. I'd go with the crop. The full image makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

No offense intended...just an opinion.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    I know this is rather moot now (especially with the original photo in the 1st msg on this thread gone now), but, what I thought I liked about the lighting was exactly that "bleached-white" window, that kept the photo from looking like it was just taken in a studio with a seamless white backdrop or just a photoshop selection. Ok then, maybe that made it an "environmental portrait".

Similarly (seems to me), the legs give spacial context needed to tell the story of the girl playing with the puppy on the floor.

FWIW,

Gary
    Sandy wrote:
    edited December 27, 2004
    Once again, thank you Muddyknees. I am glad you aggee that the legs were necessary for a complete picture. She is a beautiful little girl and I did not find the position inappropriate. Just a girl playing on the floor with her dog, she wasn't posed. I tried to rain in the legs with the perspective tool, but didn't like the results.