System - back to the basics

davidmigldavidmigl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited November 8, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hmmm well it seems that the first round failed to get anything that just screamed system, so I decided to shoot the obvious - my computer. Then I saw the "server system" thread and my interest was furthered. This is a shot of three SATA cables descending from my hard drives:

109007355-L.jpg
What do you think? The lighting needs to be more interesting - I tried illuminating the scene with the led's from a router, but the required 6 minute exposure was anything but noiseless. Ordinary lamp + transparent tab dividers didn't do much good. I might try assembling a simple bright green led and having another shot at a long exposure. Ideally I'd like a studio light with a screen in front so that I'd get a grid of green lines, maybe even so far as 1's and 0's, but I don't have anywhere near the equipment needed for that.

I'm contemplating other interesting stuff; I already have a shot of this at f/16 (the current is at 2.0), shot straight on, another tilted, might try varying the lighting angle......

BTW, here is the rest of my computer, see anything interesting in there?
109007514-L.jpg

I wish I had a macro lens right now... can't get very close with my current arsenal (BTW do you know which provides the most magnification out of the (all canon lenses) 18-55 kit, 50 1.8, 75-300 4-5.6, and 85 1.8?)

The ideal shot that I'm thinking of right now is exactly like one I saw in a CDW advertisement in PC Magazine. In the foreground, a frustrated IT's foot surrounded by gobs of colorful cat5 cable, with server racks rising up in the distance. I don't have access to a large server room like that, though. I'll have to think of other ideas.

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    david...I see a pc slot placeholder laying flat on an accessory card...surely that was just placed there to make our hearts skip a beat...
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    davidmigl wrote:
    What do you think? The lighting needs to be more interesting ... shot straight on, another tilted, might try varying the lighting angle.

Try using relected light, even using a piece of white foamcore if you don't have a reflector. There seems to be too much glare coming off the aluminum case, plus it creates hot spots.
    davidmigl wrote:
    BTW, here is the rest of my computer, see anything interesting in there?

Umm, dust? rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac