Transit of Mercury

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
First, orient yourself with the Sunspotter:
109018838-L.jpg

Then step up to the 10" to get a better view:
109018842-L.jpg

Climb stairs to the 14" for a closeup. Also look at the prominences with the H-Alpha filter (very cool, actually).
109018835-L.jpg

Finally, move onto the Solar Telescope. The image is projected onto the wall. The little grey smudge being pointed at is Mercury!
109018844-L.jpg

The pencil marks indicate the path, maybe a little hard to read. Original image is here if you're interested. There's also a sun spot in the upper right.

In LA, at least you can almost always see the Sun!!! (Though the seeing is still pretty terrible)
Chris

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    I enjoyed seeing your discussion and your image of the trasit of Mercury.

Imppresive how very small it looks against the sun, isn't it??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Thanks, Path... Unfortunately, I don't have a solar filter for my 70-200, or I would've taken a couple of direct shots. If I'd brought my P&S, I may have been able to get one through an eyepiece, but alas, no.

Honestly, looking at the solar prominences is much cooler.
    Chris
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    First, orient yourself with the Sunspotter:
    Then step up to the 10" to get a better view:
    Climb stairs to the 14" for a closeup. Also look at the prominences with the H-Alpha filter (very cool, actually).
    Finally, move onto the Solar Telescope. The image is projected onto the wall. The little grey smudge being pointed at is Mercury!
    The pencil marks indicate the path, maybe a little hard to read. Original image is here if you're interested. There's also a sun spot in the upper right.
    In LA, at least you can almost always see the Sun!!! (Though the seeing is still pretty terrible)

Wow the size of that Telescope eek7.gif
    Thank you Chris for this informative thread, nice to see the kids taking an interest........ thanks for sharing......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Great informative series ! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Great show, Chris!
    I enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Thanks guys! As astronomical events go, it wasn't terribly exciting photographically. Much more fun to actually look in the 'scopes and see Mercury. Transits don't happen very often, so I wanted to capture it in some way...
    Chris