Photo Cards

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in People
As of now, I'm using the regular 256meg SD card by SanDisk. I'm just now finding out that cards have speed. Well, I didn't know that.:rolleyes
Shows ya how slow of a learner I am - always busy and stuff, little time to learn things.

Well first off, what is the speed of an ordinary SanDisk card, (those red-blue ones like I have)?
Someone at a photocenter said that the regular card I have now is not even a 20x. And I didn't see its speed on the package.

Second, did I read in here that having anything more than a 256meg card could harm our cameras, or get low quality results?
Because I would like to get a new card that I saw - a Lexar 1gig/60x, if high storage is harmless.
If I could find one in town, I'd like to get their 1gig/133x.

Thanks!:D

•ZR•

PS...
Oops! I didn't mean to post this in here. Please move it to where it belongs. Thanks!

http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I also have a D50 and use three cards (2GB, 1GB, and a 512MB) with no problem. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't believe the D50 firmware supports the 4GB cards though. My 2GB card is just a $40 PNY branded card with no speed indicated, But the 1GB card is a 133X card. I haven't really noticed a great difference in the speeds of the cards other than when I'm getting the pics off of them. You would most likely notice a difference if you were to shoot a large series in burst mode though.

I had heard that the D50 interface has a speed equal to that of a 60X card. Search the D50 forum on www.nikonians.org for more info.
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Well yesterday, I got the Lexar 512mb instead of the 1gb,`cos they ran out. It was on sale, and both are 60x's.
    But I haven't noticed a difference yet. That's probably`cos (if it's so) that a D50 is a 60x itself, then I guess there'll be no difference.
    Maybe`cos both card and camera are 60x, and one has to be higher than the other to notice anything.ne_nau.gif
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I'm just now finding out that cards have speed.
    You can ignore all the 80X, 100X and 133X garbage that memory card 'makers' ascribe to their products - it means nothing. And often, the marginal speed advantage of one brand vs. another or between models for the same brand doesn't justify the price difference.

The definitive authority on memory card speed is Rob Galbraith. I suggest you should never go shopping for memory cards without thoroughly understanding the performance of all the cards of interest to you on your camera body. Only then can you make an objective decision on the relative value for money.