Options

Feature request: keep Filename + Caption

dsl25dsl25 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 26, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Just signed in - looks great! - and already a feature request, hum...

(Maybe this has been already discussed, but didn't find it, sorry)

When adding pictures, their original filename is put as caption and then you are able to add a caption. Problem is that the new caption REPLACES the filename.

Why not being able to KEEP the filename AND ADD a caption? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Welcome!
    dsl25 wrote:
    Just signed in - looks great! - and already a feature request, hum...

(Maybe this has been already discussed, but didn't find it, sorry)

When adding pictures, their original filename is put as caption and then you are able to add a caption. Problem is that the new caption REPLACES the filename.

Why not being able to KEEP the filename AND ADD a caption? headscratch.gif
    You can show/hide filenames in the gallery settings.
    When you rename the picture (which is a manual process anyway), you can see th original filename, so it's not a lot of work to incorporate that filename into a caption, is it?

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    You can show/hide filenames in the gallery settings.
    When you rename the picture (which is a manual process anyway), you can see th original filename, so it's not a lot of work to incorporate that filename into a caption, is it?
    ...hum, not really: when you have your settings with "show filenames" it does actually show them, BUT, when you want to put a caption, in the new window where you have to put your text in doesn't have the filename anymore and you have to copy/paste it from somewhere - which is ridiculous.

BTW: I just tried your explorer (great tool!) and also have a question for that one: connexion is OK, I can see my folders but with nothing in them and the "upload" menu is greyd. I'm I doing something wrong?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Go into "edit captions (bulk)". The file name is to left of the caption box for each picture so it would be easy to copy and paste into the caption box.
    Happy Holidays
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    Allen wrote:
    Go into "edit captions (bulk)". The file name is to left of the caption box for each picture so it would be easy to copy and paste into the caption box.
    Happy Holidays
    Al
    Thanks Al, yes of course it works, but why not keeping the filename's text in the box by default?

It would easier to earse than copy/paste....

OK, no problem...

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you too!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    SE answer
    dsl25 wrote:
    BTW: I just tried your explorer (great tool!) and also have a question for that one: connexion is OK, I can see my folders but with nothing in them and the "upload" menu is greyd. I'm I doing something wrong?
    First of all, thank you for trying it!
    I know I need to provide some kind of FAQ, just didn't have time for that, sorry.

Basically, when those first versions of SE were created there was simply no API to get the list of images:-). It came up later. And I'm still not sure if I have to automatically download those lists, because for some people (like me, for instance:-) with thousands and thousands of images already uploaded (I think I'm already at 10K - and counting:-) it might take some serious time to get this information.
    I still might do this, but at a later phase of development. There are other pressing matters at this point..

To enable the upload (with the version that is currently in the fields), you need to select a single album (or create one and select it if you don't have it yet). Once you have a single album selected, you'll be able to drag-and-drop files onto app. And once you have some files - Upload will be enabled:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    To enable the upload (with the version that is currently in the fields), you need to select a single album (or create one and select it if you don't have it yet). Once you have a single album selected, you'll be able to drag-and-drop files onto app. And once you have some files - Upload will be enabled:-)
    Thanks Nik and I'll try not to create another "topic in the topic"...

OK, I undestand, but what happens when an album is already created (at the website) and has images in it? Not able to list them in SE?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    Not yet
    dsl25 wrote:
    Thanks Nik and I'll try not to create another "topic in the topic"...

OK, I undestand, but what happens when an album is already created (at the website) and has images in it? Not able to list them in SE?
    Later, maybe.
    You see, the original and primary goal of SE is being an upload tool. Smugmug itself provides a very fine way of navigating through the images.
    If I want to mirror that feature (navigation to the image level), I'm facing a major challenge of keeping things in sync. Again, imagine you have 20Gb in 10K pictures uploaded. if you want to seem them in SE (which is a local client) you would need to get all that info. Can you estimate the time needed for this? Of course I can do it on request, and then cache the info locally (which I'm actually planning to do), then you need a very efficient caching mechanism. Then we're talking about databases, probably embedded ones...
    In other words, image level opens a huge can of worms. I'm not excluding this idea, but it would require some serious attention.
    Bottomline - not in Phase One.:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif