Unwanted Studio Border

illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Cameras
Alright so whenever I take a photo studio style, I'm using 2 vivitar 285hv flashes, I get this black border on the bottom. Ive switched flashes on the both sides, I shot vertical, I moved the flashes, but it's still there. If anyone can help me out with this problem please any feedback is welcomed. I hope its not my sensor. :scratch

Here's a photo.
~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.

Comments

• KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Hmmm... looks good apart from the black at the bottom. My first guess would be that your shutter speed is too high for the flash. What's the highest flash sync speed on your camera? Are you shooting above that? Try slowing the shutter down a little if 1/250 is higher than your sync speed. Maybe try 1/60 for a start to see if the black line goes away... that's about it for my guess :-)

Cheers,
    Kenny
    Alright so whenever I take a photo studio style, I'm using 2 vivitar 285hv flashes, I get this black border on the bottom. Ive switched flashes on the both sides, I shot vertical, I moved the flashes, but it's still there. If anyone can help me out with this problem please any feedback is welcomed. I hope its not my sensor. headscratch.gif

Here's a photo.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    As soon as I posted that I realized that might be the problem. I'm using a Canon 20D which syncs out at 1/250th of a second, but for some reason the black line is still there. I'm guessing because there is so much light the 1/250th might still be to fast. I'm gonna try a slower speed tonight. Thanks though.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I've always done indoor flash shots with my 20D on 1/250 and I've never seen that kind of line on my shots. Try the 1/60 suggestion and work up from there.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Sure looks like second curtain to me. Many cameras will only give you optimum sync speed with a dedicated flash. Vivtar 285 is definitely not dedicated. Good flash though; I've had one for about a hundred mwink.gif years. Try slowing down your shutter speed a bit. I bet that'll work.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    The documented sync speed for my 5D is 1/200, but I have found that it only works with Canon flashes mounted in the hot shoe. For any other configuration it seems that 1/160 is as fast as it goes.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The documented sync speed for my 5D is 1/200, but I have found that it only works with Canon flashes mounted in the hot shoe. For any other configuration it seems that 1/160 is as fast as it goes.
    Hmmm, I find that strange. My 20D with Sigma 500 will work to at least 1/250 (haven't tried anything faster). I haven't thought to actually test the 580.
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Hmmm, I find that strange. My 20D with Sigma 500 will work to at least 1/250 (haven't tried anything faster). I haven't thought to actually test the 580.

Is your Sigma designed to comunicate with your camera body? If so, it can be considered "dedicated".

"The documented sync speed for my 5D is 1/200, but I have found that it only works with Canon flashes mounted in the hot shoe. For any other configuration it seems that 1/160 is as fast as it goes." ...
    ... My point exactly.
    See with your Heart
  • ire-davidire-david Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Check that you haven't the camea set to second curtain sync as well. it happened to me before.

if you are using slave flash this will also slow down the reaction time of your flash depending on the type of actuator you use (radio or flash detection) it's quite a minute delay but it is there. The lenght of sync cables can also be a factor. the longer the cble the bigger longer the delay.
    Having said that i would try several speeds rather than dropping all the way to 1/60th immediatly. all these delays are measured in milliseconds and you may find a higher working speed than 1/60th