How to purchase CS2 for a non-profit discount?

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited December 15, 2006 in Finishing School
The time has come to ask (will at the next meeting) the powers at work for CS2. Not just Photoshop, but the whole suite. I know there is a discount for non-profit organizations, and I have Adobe's little 2-page PDF about it, but it doesn't give the all-important information on just how to go about the actual purchase.

Anybody have a clue what that next step is? Or a link, phone number... anything? :dunno

Thanks!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    I work for CompUSA Business Sales and I deal with Leukemia Lymphoma and United Cerebral Palsy non-profits.
    https://www.softwareplusonline.com
    I would say call them up and say you are looking for non-profit pricing for Adobe products and have your company info ready because they will probably need to verify with Adobe that you qualify for any special pricing. Then Software Plus on behalf of Adobe may send you over a contract to sign.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 15, 2006
    Thanks guys!

David R., have you ever bought anything at the Acedemic Superstore?
    My Smugmug
    edited November 15, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Thanks guys!

Yep. My son has as copy of Studio 8 on it's way...should be here today. It'st he 3rd thing we've bought from them. I've had great experiences with them
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Thanks guys!

We have, also, as well as a number of my college students. Good, honest place to purchase and everything is on the up-and-up.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    edited November 15, 2006
    We have, also, as well as a number of my college students. Good, honest place to purchase and everything is on the up-and-up.

Did you get a boxed copy, or a digital download? (CS2.3 suite is 5 gigs. Yikes.)
    My Smugmug
    edited November 15, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Did you get a boxed copy, or a digital download? (CS2.3 suite is 5 gigs. Yikes.)

Boxed.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 24, 2006
    CS2.3 premium suite ordered from academicsuperstore. Doesn't come in a box, no documentation. Just a CD (one?) in an envelope, just like NetFlix. Price is higher for non-profits than for educational, but far less than retail.

Time for me to start reading up on all the programs!
    My Smugmug
    edited November 29, 2006
    Update
    One week later...

No mailbox joy. :(:

Sidenote: My book by Deke McClellan on CS2 InDesign came today from Amazon. When ordering from Amazon, always choose the slowest method that costs nothing. They tell you it will take 5-9 days. I've never waited more than 72 hours. Don't pay extra for their expedited methods. Amazon expedites everything.
    My Smugmug
    edited November 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    One week later...

5 days, brother. And it was a holiday...Well, black friday, but still...
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 1, 2006
    Update, day 9
    After the mail came (actually, no mail delivery today - USPS "snow day?"), I got antsy and called them.

rolleyes1.gif

Nope, didn't ship yet. eek7.gif

Personal Edit: deleted the next part, since it was a mad rant-like tome.
    My Smugmug
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Cs2
    Hey David, did you upgrade your ram for this? 2Gb+ is really useful. I can feel you anxiety.
    Regards, David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited December 5, 2006
    Day 13. no joy.

Yes, 2GB RAM. Big screen. I'm ready. I'm waiting. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited December 7, 2006
    Joy
    Note to UPS deal.gif When leaving a package at my house in the future, would you please first ring the doorbell up front instead of plopping the package on my back stairs and running away silently so I don't step on it while taking the garbage out at 10:45pm?

Yeah, its here, finally. :ivar 9CD's worth eek7.gif Wish there was a DVD option so I could install it in one go.
    My Smugmug
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yeah, its here, finally. :ivar 9CD's worth eek7.gif Wish there was a DVD option so I could install it in one go.

9 CD's....earlier post you said it was only 1.....did they send in a box or just envelope.

I am surprised it took so long from Academic Superstore....they have always been extremely fast for me ...but my shipping addy was Wichita State University....don't know if that was the reason or not.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 7, 2006
    The Adobe software was ordered through Academic Superstore, but they don't actually stock Adobe CS2 Suites, according to them, Adobe, and a couple other competitors I called. I found that out when my order had gone 9 days and I phoned them up trying to obtain a tracking #. The order was handed off to a company called Douglas Stewart in Madison, WI., but that company didn't receive the order from Academic Superstore until day 8, believe it or not (and it was done electronically). Thats what I was more irked about than the 2 week wait. The UPS tracking number was created at day 10.

As to the number of CD's, they had told me one, but the order desk people (at Acc. Superstore) might not have much real experience with installing the products. And I hardly believed it either, since that would be one tight sucker of compression. The min. requirements mentioned to have many many many gigs free. And so, they are right at that. My HD back acres will be plowed and planted tomorrow, with a hot pot of coffee nearby. Hopefully, the install won't hang. A setting of restore point will be a must beforehand.

4 main CS2 disks, 2 "Resources and Extras" disks, One Dreamweaver 8 disk, a video CD of "Total Training Adobe CS2 Workshop", and a CS2.3 Premium upgrade disk. No printed docs, no Adobe box. A few separate sleeved CD's and a plastic case holding another 6, ala a multiple DVD movie box.

Anyways, looking at the videos tonight (after the package thawed out). Some nice features in Illustrator are going to come in very handy in conjunction with PS and InDesign. Live Trace is pretty cool.

Jeez, InDesign is about 7 generations ahead of the PageMaker 5.0 I have been using rolleyes1.gif . Feel free to kid me about that, as it was a Windows 3.1 program running on WIN95. There are a few familiar tools and keyboard shortcuts that are still with InDesign 2.

I will say, after also using recent copies of MS Word, OpenOffice 2.0, MS Publisher, that PageMaker 5.0 was a decade ahead of the recent offerings. InDesign is what I mainly got this package for, and it looks sweet.

PS CS2 happens to be a very nice side bargain. I'll get into that next month, but I have a big printing project to get up to speed first.
    My Smugmug
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    One week later...

No mailbox joy. :(:

Sidenote: My book by Deke McClellan on CS2 InDesign came today from Amazon. When ordering from Amazon, always choose the slowest method that costs nothing. They tell you it will take 5-9 days. I've never waited more than 72 hours. Don't pay extra for their expedited methods. Amazon expedites everything.
    Perhaps for you... If memory serves they have a distribution center right next door in kansas.
    edited December 8, 2006
    Day 16
    There is no serial number on any CD's or box. (oh, there is no box!) No SN = no install.

Acrobat 8 also needs a SN. Has none.
    The 2.3 upgrade disc needs a separate SN. Has none.
    Adobe doesn't have telephone support for educational or non-profit products.
    My Smugmug
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    There is no serial number on any CD's or box. (oh, there is no box!) No SN = no install.

Acrobat 8 also needs a SN. Has none.
    The 2.3 upgrade disc needs a separate SN. Has none.
    Adobe doesn't have telephone support for educational or non-profit products.

Have you looked thru all the read me files...sometimes it could be tucked away in a notepad file also....if not call the company that shipped product and ask for all the keys...dang that is like buying a ar with keys...mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 8, 2006
    Adobe and I are talking. Some of it is working now. Arghhh!

EDIT: even more of it is installed and more or less running. Not done yet. Geez, this is a monster of a beast of code.
    My Smugmug
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the acedemic superstore. I've purchased a couple of things from them,and have had no trouble at all. Good luck on getting everything straightened out!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited December 15, 2006
    Its just weird. There were a couple of critical mistakes Ac. Sup. St. made. I'm all good now with them now. The only trouble is that whatever serial number Adobe and the vendow gave me for Dreamweaver 8 isn't working, so I have a 30-day ticking timebomb on that component. Unable to activate the reg. no matter what we do. There are many hundreds of others in the same boat. Adobe just doesn't have their act together on that product yet.

Otherwise, I'm learning InDesign as fast as my old brain can take in the lessons. Man, there's a load of PageMaker to be found in that app., which is good. Now I just have to leap forward 10 years and catch up.

Photoshop learning will have to wait until I am well versed in Bridge, Version Cue and InDesign. My projects have to go to the commercial printer before I can play with the my pictures. Until then, PaintShop Pro is my main editor. Which is OK, since I've milked that one for all its worth and then some.
    My Smugmug