How does Smugmug handle metadata?

TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited November 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all, this is my first post here. I was going to wait until I could actually add something to the forum before asking a newbie question, but I have searched everwhere, and this question is really bugging me.

I wanted to know how Smumug handles metadata. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about I will post what I know and examples of stuff which I would like to know.

Things that may be correct:
1. The IPTC Content Description field is used as (Smugmug) SM caption
2. The IPTC Content Keywords field is used as SM keywords
3. Some parts of the file name are used in SM keywords

Examples of stuff I want to know:
1. How are the file names used to determine keywords?
2. Are any other IPTC fields used by SM; like: headline, subject code, title, copyright notice, location info?
3. Does the metadata only come with the photo if the original is downloaded (This includes the exif data). For example, if someone purchases a digital download would they get the metadata for a low res picture?
4. Can the exif data be surpressed?
5. Are they any other little tricks that I may be unaware of in the use of metadata by Smugmug?

One of the reasons I ask this is because I really like SM search for keyword feature. If smumug doesn't include, for example, the location information, then I will have to manually add that to the keywords myself.

Cheers,

Trent

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Hi Trent, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif
    Trent wrote:
    Things that may be correct:
    1. The IPTC Content Description field is used as (Smugmug) SM caption
    2. The IPTC Content Keywords field is used as SM keywords
    3. Some parts of the file name are used in SM keywords
    you are correct thumb.gif
    Trent wrote:
    Examples of stuff I want to know:
    1. How are the file names used to determine keywords?
    See this page for all the information on that:http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    Trent wrote:
    2. Are any other IPTC fields used by SM; like: headline, subject code, title, copyright notice, location info?
    Not that I am aware of.
    Trent wrote:
    3. Does the metadata only come with the photo if the original is downloaded (This includes the exif data). For example, if someone purchases a digital download would they get the metadata for a low res picture?
    That's a good question, and I do not know the answer to that one. I will do some research and let you know.
    Trent wrote:
    4. Can the exif data be surpressed?
    Yes, use the 'show camera info' option on your customize page, and set that to 'no'
    Trent wrote:
    5. Are they any other little tricks that I may be unaware of in the use of metadata by Smugmug?
    Not that I am aware of, but if someone knows anything, i'd like to hear it as well ear.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
  • TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Thanks for that. That answered some questions. I just thought there would be a general help sheet somewhere. I will just have to experiment a little to see what happens.

Trent
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Trent wrote:
    Thanks for that. That answered some questions. I just thought there would be a general help sheet somewhere. I will just have to experiment a little to see what happens.

Trent
    Hi Trent, was my link useful?
  • TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    It answered my question clearly wrt digital downloads, thanks Andy.