Options

Tuscany by Photocat, Part 3 : Pienza

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in Journeys
We took a short drive from Montepulciano to Pienza. I felt sad to leave MonteP. as I thought that was the most beautiful thing I ever saw, of course I had no clue that wherever you venture in Tuscany, one spot is always nicer then the previous one.

109105466-L.jpg

Figs grow in the wild here, I personally think they look a bit yukky... They only are good for weird photography objects.
Trees here have strange shapes too...

109105526-L.jpg

We pass a little park, old people basking in the october sun, when I see those announcements. They are off people who passed away. It strikes me that lots of people in Tuscany reach a really old age. It must he healthy to live here.

109105562-L.jpg

We enter Pienza through a Gate, another gate for another little hill town. We are lucky to have Michael (with hat and beige vest) as our guide, as he knows all the interesting spots to photograph in this area...
Everytime we park the van, I have this feeling of new adventures waiting on us. It is all so exiting. I am on sharp from morning till evening. I could use another pair of extra eyes here...

109105627-L.jpg

I do have the nasty habit of staying behind deliberately, and then call on them so they turn around. That is when I snap them. The decisive moment... I invent my own decisive split seconds.

109105702-L.jpg

From left to right: Charles, Michael, Mick, Ann, Madeline. Chris and Rachel have vanished...

Italian Beauties have laundry too:

109105770-L.jpg

It pays to look up, lots of hidden gems above eye line...

109105868-L.jpg

We have no time to loose, time is precious, time gives us room to see more and photograph more.
As Dorothea Lange said: Live and look around in each day as if it is the last day that you can see...
Or something in that area. I am too lazy now to go and get the book for the exact quote.

109105930-L.jpg

We go on a hunt for a nice place for lunch, it is getting close to one, so we need to order before that or wait till four before we can eat again... Rachel and Chris have joined us again, we follow Michael...

109105975-L.jpg

We pass some little piazza's, the names from one more romantic then the other, it all speaks to the imagination.

109106067-L.jpg

I am getting a bit worried, as Michael keeps walking, and we get very close to one... Don't want to miss out on lunch, I can't shoot on a grumbling stomach...

109106410-L.jpg

But no, finally we find a little cafe, with some tables outside, and that will be our base for lunch. It takes us forever to order as the guy does not understand a word of english, and we only notice the english translation of the menu AFTER we ordered everything.

I end op with bread with fish, and I hate fish..

109106887-L.jpg

While we wait on our food, I get up and take some snappies around us. A nice door, in decay, but I repeat: it would look like hell in UK, but it is "beautiful" in Tuscany. I like weathered things, and lots of those here.

109106761-L.jpg

In my mind, I can see me going back in time, and maybe watch Casanova come home here, and opening his frontdoor with a giant key... I know, my mind slips often!

109106835-L.jpg

The cutest little mail box is hanging on house 24...

109107264-L.jpg

I wished I was a wine drinker, I am not. So the bottles only have a cuteness factor for me...

109107024-L.jpg

I shoot some more doors, they never bore me. I will make a door poster once back home. They sell those here, but I can make my own!

109107210-L.jpg

We have our lunch at the King Arthur cafe, I wonder if Arthur ever was here...

109107645-L.jpg

109107813-L.jpg

We split up after lunch, each goes his or her own way. I am in a hurry, I want to explore and see what is here!

109107969-L.jpg

I walk a while and end up on the edge of town, when I peek over the wall, it takes my breath away.
Sadly enough, I have no polarizer on my lens, and it is an extremely hazy day, I know the pics will not do justice to reality.
This is the kind of landscape you want to come and shoot early in the morning or later in the evening...

We see the trees that are unmistakenly connected to our image of Tuscany, the conifers, in a row, with hig cones.

109108282-L.jpg

109108547-L.jpg

They have a duomo in Pienza, and I take a quick look inside. Too much old ghosts in there... I hasten to be outside again, the day is way too beautiful to be inside anyway. Inside smells like catholics, so I need to hide and run...

109109344-L.jpg

In going out, I notice the lock on the door... real craftmanship, centuries old...

109109461-L.jpg

It has become close to four, and the shops are opening up again. Little fluffy lamb clouds in a blue sky. I love Italy...
I chat for a while with a young german couple with a dog. Cute dog with a sunflower stuck between his collier...

109110090-L.jpg

There is a pope's palace in Pienza, and I am heading towards it. Here is a close up from one of the locks on one of the many doors.

109110363-L.jpg

More people snapping...

109110393-L.jpg

Amazing buildings, architecture, patterns, light plays, sun rays catched in drawings and fresco's on the walls...

109110575-L.jpg

The crescents, representing the battle against Islam, Pope Picolino (? - spelling?) fought a bitter war with the turks...
He built his palace in Pienza, it shows us so much richness... He died before he saw the finished palace. It is now left for us to see, and it sucks that you can't take photographs inside...

109110459-L.jpg

The weapon shield of Pope Picolino...

109110694-L.jpg

One of the wooden ceilings in the Popal palace...

109110736-L.jpg

More fresco's on the court yard walls.

109110793-L.jpg

The cities Belltower seen from the third floor in the palace

109111054-L.jpg

A view from the Balcony on the fourth floor of the popal palace, it left me speechless, and we all know that that is not an easy thing to happen to me...

109111152-L.jpg

The reality was so much nicer then one can catch in photographs.

109111101-L.jpg

An old piece of flemish furniture, I managed to sneek one picture in. I hate it when they forbid photography.
There are methods enough to prepare and save furniture and carpets from effects from flash photography, they use it in the Amsterdam Rijks museum, and I always try not to flash. As to not be discovered.

109111353-L.jpg

An 17th century wall carpet in the dining room. That pope sure had coins enough if he could order embellishments like that... I guess he kind of forgot his promise of poverty...

109111404-L.jpg

Time to go home, back to the van, we have to be careful to avoid those little critters with 3 wheels...

109111678-L.jpg

To be continued...

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    wings.gifbarbwings.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL....Fantastic work.....keep it coming.

THANX FOR SHARING.

No I have never been to Pienza......don't know why the little bar is named after me.....mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Thanks Art for looking and commenting.
    It means a lot to me. There are still some days to come, I bet you will be bored stiff by the end of the week.
    The trip was marvellous, I hope I can go back...
    This also got me back in blogging. Good thing to write it all down here on D-grin...

Thanks again for looking!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    When's the next plane leave? I wanna go.

You're right, the landscapes look exactly as I'd picture them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Wow, very, very marvelous journey, Cat! Thanks so much for sharing with us....I'm not bored at all if you have more! And I always enjoy your writing as well as your shooting! Did you not get a shot of yourself in there anywhere???? No self-portraits????? You didn't "chuck it" did you???? :Dthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif :ivar :ivar wings.gifwings.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    Thanks Art for looking and commenting.
    It means a lot to me. There are still some days to come, I bet you will be bored stiff by the end of the week.
    The trip was marvellous, I hope I can go back...
    This also got me back in blogging. Good thing to write it all down here on D-grin...

Thanks again for looking!rolleyes1.gif

There is absolutely no way I will be bored of pics from that part of the world.....just makes want to return to Prague so i can more easily travel to places like Tuscany, Spain, Slovaka, etc etc...Prague being almost dead ctr of Europe and trains going everywhere.... So bore me if you can....I think not :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    Thanks Saurora and Art, there are some self portraits coming up. As I refuse to use tripods as they bog me down, I need to find other solutions for self portraits. Not that it is a big loss if there are none... grin

Thanks for the comments. I will try to wrap up part four today...
    First need to go and help an older couple with their mac set up...