PS CS2 and NEF Files

Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in Finishing School
Hello:

This is a great forum! Lots of tips and tricks for the beginner--it's a big help.

I'm trying to figure out how ACR works with NEF files. I downloaded version 3.6 from Adobe and it's in my plug-in folder in CS2. But, when I open a NEF file...I don't get a tool box prompting me to do anything. No w/ white balance, exposure, noise, etc. Do these NEF files need to be opened someplace else and then processed in CS2?

Thanks,
Stacey:dunno
Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20

Comments

• Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    if this topic has already been discussed and this room is sick of seeing it again for the hundreth time, could someone provide the link?
    Stacey L wrote:
    Hello:

This is a great forum! Lots of tips and tricks for the beginner--it's a big help.

I'm trying to figure out how ACR works with NEF files. I downloaded version 3.6 from Adobe and it's in my plug-in folder in CS2. But, when I open a NEF file...I don't get a tool box prompting me to do anything. No w/ white balance, exposure, noise, etc. Do these NEF files need to be opened someplace else and then processed in CS2?

Thanks,
    Staceyne_nau.gif
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Probably not installed correctly
    Stacey L wrote:
    Hello:

Thanks,
    Staceyne_nau.gif

Read the install instructions very carefully for ACR. It does not go in the typical plug-ins folder and if you put it in the wrong place, it will not work. Also, you need to make sure you only have one version of ACR anywhere in the Adobe directory structure. CS2 came with an older version, so you will already have that installed too and will have to make sure that gets replaced.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    If you print out the READ ME on your version (make sure that is the version for your camera)...it details it 1 - 2- 3......just follow it and it takes less than 2 minutes to pop it in there...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    If you install NikonView or other Nikon software, a Nikon NEF plug may hijack the ACR process anyway, so it often pays to remove the Nikon Photoshop NEF plug once you have ACR correctly installed. I prefer to use NikonEditor direct rather than using their plug in Photoshop.

TIP - One can use the latest version of the DNG converter to make DNG files of the NEF's which comes in handy if you use CS but need to access a camera raw file that only CS2 can open.

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/