Ch 77: Belief System

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited November 16, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was going to work on the Blue Screen of Death shot I posted the other day, but the sun finally came out so I may save that project for a rainy day. Here's one I shot yesterday:

109349398-L.jpg

What do you think?

Comments

• nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I like it a lot more than the blue screen project. Its a great picture.
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Great catch, perfect timing. A really nice shot.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    What do you think?
    For my money, this is an absolutely first class shot - well done. thumb.gif

However, I wondered whether the column on the right hand side was providing a distraction, and came up with this quick crop -

Spain.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 10, 2006
    Sandy: Many thanks. Glad you like it.

Naz: The BSOD was certainly not ready for prime time. But I don't think I know how to make it better than this shot, so it goes on the back burner for now.

Dub: Yeah, that damn column was even more of a distraction in a number of other shots I took of the nuns. I appreciate your cropping suggestion. I like the column being gone, but I'm not sure I like her so far to the right in the frame. Maybe if I tone the column down some? Hmmm...I'll have to look at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the comment.

Regards,
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Richard,
    This is an awesome shot! thumb.gif
    Not sure about the "system", but otherwise.. Maybe a bit more black would help..rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Great capture, Richard! But I agree, it doesn't really say "system" to me...
    Chris
    edited November 10, 2006
    Thanks, everyone. It's always a little dicey when the main thing linking the image to the challenge theme is the title of the pic. Mine won't be the first or only entry that fits that description. I won't bore anyone with explaining why organized religions can be considered systems, but simply acknowledge that it's a stretch. But isn't that what we're supposed to be doing, stretching our imaginations?
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I would definitely enter it... I'm sure I've seen photographs further from the "theme" get voted in the Top 10.

IMHO, it would be more likely to win then your on-topic BSOD pic.
    Chris
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I'd say, even though it could be more effective if it was a nun with a bible, but regarless, it is more directed to system then some others. This is a difficult task and I think this one takes it.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Go for it Richard. It is a really good capture and, frankly, getting the idea of system from many, if not most, of the current entries in the challenge requires interpretation at a very subtle level. Even if you don't enter the picture, you should be well pleased with it. Outstanding!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    This is a seriously great photograph
    Beautifully shot....excellent theme with great dynamics! Yea, enter it....I'd vote for it
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 11, 2006
    Thanks so much, everyone. I will give it a last look and enter it later today. I am actually quite happy with this one regardless of the challenge outcome :D.

Regards,
  • imagin'imagin' Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, everyone. It's always a little dicey when the main thing linking the image to the challenge theme is the title of the pic. Mine won't be the first or only entry that fits that description. I won't bore anyone with explaining why organized religions can be considered systems, but simply acknowledge that it's a stretch. But isn't that what we're supposed to be doing, stretching our imaginations?

depends? ... if the challenge focuses purely on 'image' (shooting excercise) or broader: on 'concept' (thinking and shooting excercise). In case of the concept-challenge a well-chosen title might help clearify.
    I really like the image and see the system in religion. To me the link is in the heavy fence behind the ladies. (Then the column distracts imo.) BTW - according to the laughing nun it is quite an enjoyable system...

Good Luck!
    edited November 12, 2006
    imagin' wrote:
    depends? ... if the challenge focuses purely on 'image' (shooting excercise) or broader: on 'concept' (thinking and shooting excercise). In case of the concept-challenge a well-chosen title might help clearify.
    I really like the image and see the system in religion. To me the link is in the heavy fence behind the ladies. (Then the column distracts imo.) BTW - according to the laughing nun it is quite an enjoyable system...

Good Luck!
    Thanks, imagin'. I'm still a bit up in the air about the column. I did tone it down some and also took Nik's suggestion about boosting the black a bit. The current version looks like this:

109484265-L.jpg

I am still considering WWW's crop. It solves the column problem but I'm not sure I like the comp as much. It also eliminates one of the nuns, and one of the things I like best about the shot is the bright, joyous face in a sea of black hoods. ne_nau.gifdunno
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 13, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, imagin'. I'm still a bit up in the air about the column. I did tone it down some and also took Nik's suggestion about boosting the black a bit. The current version looks like this:

109484265-S.jpg

I am still considering WWW's crop. It solves the column problem but I'm not sure I like the comp as much. It also eliminates one of the nuns, and one of the things I like best about the shot is the bright, joyous face in a sea of black hoods. ne_nau.gifdunno

15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Wonderful, wonderful shot Richard! I haven't been on-line much so I just saw this yesterday after the close of the challenge thread. I'm glad you went with the original un-cropped image, I like it better. I really like the extra black tones and the way that nun just "pops" in the image! I like your concept of a "belief system". Works for me!!!! Good luck!! :saurora
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I like the cropped version better. You only lose 1 1/3 nuns and when you follow her eyes in the original, you end up focuding on the column. Cropped version is a little more mysterious as to what she is looking back at.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited November 14, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks for looking, Jim. Glad you like it.

Cheers,
    edited November 14, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Wonderful, wonderful shot Richard! I haven't been on-line much so I just saw this yesterday after the close of the challenge thread. I'm glad you went with the original un-cropped image, I like it better. I really like the extra black tones and the way that nun just "pops" in the image! I like your concept of a "belief system". Works for me!!!! Good luck!! :saurora
    Hey Susan,

Where have you been? Out shooting lots of great pics, I hope. Thanks for looking. I appreciate your comments. thumb.gif

Regards,
    edited November 14, 2006
    jdryan3 wrote:
    . Cropped version is a little more mysterious as to what she is looking back at.

That's a good point. I just wish it didn't leave her so close to the edge. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    That's a great shot! I don't like the cropped version, for me the column isn't too distracting and the composition is much stronger in the original.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
    edited November 16, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    That's a great shot! I don't like the cropped version, for me the column isn't too distracting and the composition is much stronger in the original.

15524779-Ti.gif Thanks.