Portfolio Assignment

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited November 10, 2006 in People
I'm taking photography as a minor at Michigan State University and in our black and white photography class we're suppose to do a final portfolio with written explanation or intent and sources of inflences. The idea and/or intent must be somewhat original or extrapolated but interpreted in your own manner.

I'm looking to head in the general direction of portraiture; but, I have no clue where specifically to head.

Portraiture is so broad in its genre I don't know how I can refine my subject.

I've entertained myself with some possible options:
1. Tribute to hitchcock-type portraits.
This would include a slide projector as background(Since it's B/w) and subject in foreground either centered or asymetrically balanced in order to express a mood or feeling about the person.
2. Helmut Newton portraits -
I read a book of collection of his work, "Private Property," Indicating that Helmut Newton wanted to objectify the subject in a manner where the subject was almost felt like an object or mannaquin.
3. I want to practice portraiture in the vein of Vogue-ish type glamour; but have no way to justify it.

Could anyone help me entertain me with possibilities?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Try not to reference photographers - it will make your work much more original. I have the same assignment for my B&W class but we just have to show a common thread throughout our portfolio and no letter.

Check out sculpture galleries, art galleries, art books. Second hand book stores are great for inspiration - this is what I am finding, anyways.

I like your Hitchcock idea. You may find it hard to come up with a whole portfolio based around that. Maybe a cinema-based theme? Hitchcock, Caligari.. etc.
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Try not to reference photographers - it will make your work much more original. I have the same assignment for my B&W class but we just have to show a common thread throughout our portfolio and no letter.
    True; but its hard to do something original without being somewhat related to a vein of work. I would rather reference previous photographers in order to place my work in the context of the history of photography.

I think i might just stick with recreating scenes from classic movies. It would definately be tough to find venues & sets and do a whole portfolio set in 3 weeks.

Thanks for your insight!thumb.gif
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D