Train Snaps w/ new 10-22 Lens

controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Holy Macro
I am playing with the new toy and loving it. Really opens up the 1.6 crop sensor. Couple snaps from my commuter train ride to Toronto this morning:

#1 - Looking through the "end of the line" barricade. I am noticing you have to be very careful lining up the forground parallel to yourself, or you get a lack of symmetry I don't know how to correct in PP.

109358714-M.jpg

#2 - The Beast. I could not believe how close to the train I was standing. Awesome.

109359088-M.jpg

#3 - Man these things take a lot of gas! But when you think about how far they go and how much they pull they seem to get a lot better milage than my car.

109359699-M.jpg

#4 - Handy button to have I guess - seems odd that it is on the side of the train at ground level though.

109359802-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.

- Mike
http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
Canon Speedlight 580EX
Kenko Extension Tubes

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Cool photos i liked 1st a lot congrats for new lens
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    controld wrote:
    I am playing with the new toy and loving it. Really opens up the 1.6 crop sensor. Couple snaps from my commuter train ride to Toronto this morning:
    #1 - Looking through the "end of the line" barricade. I am noticing you have to be very careful lining up the forground parallel to yourself, or you get a lack of symmetry I don't know how to correct in PP.
    #2 - The Beast. I could not believe how close to the train I was standing. Awesome.
    #3 - Man these things take a lot of gas! But when you think about how far they go and how much they pull they seem to get a lot better milage than my car.
    #4 - Handy button to have I guess - seems odd that it is on the side of the train at ground level though.
    Thanks for looking.
    - Mike

Wow Mike......... I really like those first two shots clap.gif
    Glad your happy with the lens Mike, I'd be pretty rapt too if it was mine :D
    With the shots you took of the button and the meter, how close were you able to stand to get your shots ????

Thanks for sharing Mike........... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 11, 2006
    New toys are always a treat. These are all good, but my favorite is #2. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Regards,
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 11, 2006
    It is a very fun lens to shoot with. Amazng how close you get to things with it. Striaght lines are a bit tricky to line up, especially handheld. Nice work.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Great shots. I really like the first one. That 10-22 looks like a very fun lens.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Oh yea!
    Nice shots. That lens looks like serious fun. Your nice shots certainly tell not only the story of the train but of the photographer taking them....I really like the DOF on the 2nd one.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    With the shots you took of the button and the meter, how close were you able to stand to get your shots ????

Thanks for the comments everyone. In response to your question Skippy, I was about 10-12 inches or so away. Pretty close to the minimum.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    Cool shots!

The disconnect or safety switch is probably outside in the event of an
    accident. Rescuers could "switch" the train off to reduce the chance of
    electrocucion. Remember, they're diesel electrics meaning the diesel runs
    to generate electricity for the wheel motors.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?