Space Shuttle Discovery rolls out

BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited November 16, 2006 in Holy Macro
This is my first photo post, figured I would start it with what I do. Space shuttle Discovery made the eight hour trip to the launch pad early Wednesday morning, arriving right around sunrise. Launch is set for December 7th and will be the first night launch in four years. The lighting was perfect yesterday morning, about the most pleasing time of day for it.

I waited until this person was standing in the center, looking up. You can see just how big it is, which a lot of people don't realize :-)

STS-116_rollout_9.JPG

The 18-million pounds of vehicle pulverize the river gravel laiden 'crawlerway' as it rolls over them at 0.9 mph (or less):

STS-116_rollout_11.JPG

STS-116_rollout_4.JPG

STS-116_rollout_5.JPG

STS-116_rollout_7.JPG

STS-116_rollout_6.JPG

STS-116_rollout_12.JPG

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 10, 2006
    Those are fabulous shots. So are you a rocket scientist or a NASA photographer?

Regards,
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    What a cool gig. Thanks for sharing!
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    He must have security clearance to get that close... grin
    Magnificent shots. I stood next to the old shuttle and yes, it is huge!
    Well done... I hope you will still have a job after posting theserolleyes1.gif
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Awesome. A view few would get.....I like them. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    Awesome. A view few would get.....I like them. thumb.gif
    Those are some great shots. I'm jeaulous. I want to be in that thing going up to the moon mwink.gif
    I flew over the launchpad a few years ago when it was still allowed, it was nice to see. I did see the launch a few weeks ago, that was pretty cool to actually.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Beautiful shots! That first one is definitely a wall hanger. My imagination, or does it have a slight tilt to the left?
    Chris
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Hmm,neither NASA rocket scientist or photographer. But I am a photographer who has had the great privelege of shooting these as my job and for fun, and I am majoring in aerospace engineering. So ask that again one of these days maybe :D (I can only hope).

You do have to have clearance to photograph on-site at the Cape or Kennedy Space Center. Members of the media are allowed as close as you can get.

Ivar, was this the night launch of a Delta 2 on October 25 that you saw? Where did you view from. Would love to see photos.

Chris, yea it leans a little. I can correct it. Thanks for the comments. I hope I did not post too much for a first post, but I do hope to stick around!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Great photos....is that the same crawler they were using during gemini and apollo days....that thing is huge...if memory is correct, I was told it was the same size a baseball infield......been years sine I was at the Cape....

Again GREAT PICS!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 11, 2006
    About the closest I've been is Merritt Island with Harry. When I turned toward
    the VAB, I realized how big things are. Look to the right and you see the
    launch tower and that's pretty big too.

Fantastic shots and welcome to dgrin!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    BPCooper wrote:
    This is my first photo post, figured I would start it with what I do. Space shuttle Discovery made the eight hour trip to the launch pad early Wednesday morning, arriving right around sunrise. Launch is set for December 7th and will be the first night launch in four years. The lighting was perfect yesterday morning, about the most pleasing time of day for it.
    I waited until this person was standing in the center, looking up. You can see just how big it is, which a lot of people don't realize :-)
    The 18-million pounds of vehicle pulverize the river gravel laiden 'crawlerway' as it rolls over them at 0.9 mph (or less):

I soooooooo wanna go there...........man it's on my list of things to do!
    How lucky where you eek7.gif gawwwwwwd!
    I've only ever seen it on TV, kinda doesn't do it justice at all.

You got some great shots there Mr Copper clap.gifclap.gif thanks for posting, don't be a stranger to the forum, we'd love to see more of your work.

......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 11, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great photos....is that the same crawler they were using during gemini and apollo days....that thing is huge...if memory is correct, I was told it was the same size a baseball infield......been years sine I was at the Cape....

Again GREAT PICS!!!

Yep, there are two of them and they were built to carry the Saturn V to the pad in the late 1960s. Pre-Apollo (Mercury ang Gemini) they erected the rocket on the pad itself, which they do with just about all unmanned rockets today.

Everything is on a giant scale at the Cape, but because there is nothing else around to compare sizes, you don't realize it until you are right near it. The launch pad as you see it, stretching to the top of the lightning mast, is about as tall as a 35 story building; the stack, from the ground to the top of the tank there, about 24 stories; and the shuttle alone from the boosters to the top of the tank, 18.5 stories. It's amazing to think about mwink.gif

Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to posting more and commenting on others.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    BPCooper wrote:
    Ivar, was this the night launch of a Delta 2 on October 25 that you saw? Where did you view from. Would love to see photos.
    Yes, it was. I saw it from the air, as I was flying in. No time to take photos, sorry. So you attend Embrey? Nice school. I actually went past there as well, to visit one of my friends who attends there when I was in FL.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    I think I read an interview with you in a photo mag not too long ago???

I remember seeing this picture in the article as well...(I think)
    New_Horizons_Launch_7.jpg
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited November 16, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I think I read an interview with you in a photo mag not too long ago???

I remember seeing this picture in the article as well...(I think)

Yep that was me! I guess some people read it. :-) Thanks.

Still online too:
    http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/2688/my-project-out-to-launch.html
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    now that I'm "back into" photography, I'm really regretting not having had a camera with me the night I got a turnbasin pass for a shuttle launch. the envy meter really jumps seeing the great access and photos you're getting - good job.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Wow, my memory is way better than I thought, I even got the photo right. I couldn't remember if it was in PopPhoto or not and wasn't able to look it up.

Nice photos, and welcome to Dgrin.
    BPCooper wrote:
    Yep that was me! I guess some people read it. :-) Thanks.

Still online too:
    http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/2688/my-project-out-to-launch.html
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    clap.gif Wow wonderful photos
    i think you know much about Astronomy and moon :Di have question
    i read somewhere that moon has sign like it was split in 2 parts in past.
    Belt of rocks which extends from surface to depth of moon eek7.gif
    i also saw photos
    is there something like that headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 16, 2006
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you may be thinking of. Do you know where the photos are?
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    clap.gif Wow wonderful photos
    i think you know much about Astronomy and moon :Di have question
    i read somewhere that moon has sign like it was split in 2 parts in past.
    Belt of rocks which extends from surface to depth of moon eek7.gif
    i also saw photos
    is there something like that headscratch.gif

Is this not a story from the Koran?
    I think you will find there is no truth to this I'm sorry to say.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières