Passing by...

NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited November 14, 2006 in People
Hi!

I took this shot of passing pedestrian 2 or 3 weeks ago in Vienna.
Somehow I really liked this shot, so I played a little bit with it in Photoshop. :D

To me, it seems like the young man in the background is the real center of the image, but he can not take his place in the spotlight because of the elder man in his way. So he tries to overtake him, looking very stressed and determined.
Its like the old stands in the way of the new... But look at the expression of the man in front! He doesn't look like he is giving up his place without a fight! :)

105685317-L.jpg
I wonder if some of you like this image as well, or if it is one of these peices of art the world is not ready for yet... :wink

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    i dig it. i think the blue cast works extremely well here. i feel the motion, and good use of an interesting angle as well.
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i dig it. i think the blue cast works extremely well here. i feel the motion, and good use of an interesting angle as well.

Thank you very much, Barry! :D
    As for the angle, I have to admit I've been lucky with this one: I didn't even look through the viewfinder, I just fired away as they passed by.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Looks very commercial - like an airport ad or something..

Well done.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    …looks like a commercial indeed, but also looks like you're gonna fall, too :D

the frame is a little bit too much unbalanced, to my taste. A little bit.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Nicely done! Very good.

Malte
    edited November 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot for your comments, guyes! clap.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Seems to me like the younger man is moving straight into his future as an older man. Interesting picture.... I like it. nod.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    Andreas I think it's an interesting shot and I would suggest many like it can be found on stock sites so it would probably have some commercial value.

thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    ah gee-

I have angleophobia so I'm not much on the tilt-

but that's just me-

otherwise, I like it very much-
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I really like it, but am a tiny bit disturbed by the cropped leg. Although, you can see that as the old stepping out of the frame so the new can take its (his) place....

Hmm, I really like the symbolism and usually dont' like the tilt (I think it could be a bit less), but think it's nice here....

Nice shot!
    edited November 13, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    Seems to me like the younger man is moving straight into his future as an older man. Interesting picture.... I like it. nod.gif

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I like your interpretation very much! thumb.gif
    I haven't thought of this for some reason...
    edited November 13, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Andreas I think it's an interesting shot and I would suggest many like it can be found on stock sites so it would probably have some commercial value.

thumb.gif

Cool, maybe I can sell it and become incredibly rich, and afford a new tripod.
    (Mine is now officially dead.) :cool

Thanks for commenting!
    edited November 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    ah gee-

but that's just me-

Haha, angleophobia! :D
    Thanks for your comment!!
    edited November 13, 2006
    I really like it, but am a tiny bit disturbed by the cropped leg. Although, you can see that as the old stepping out of the frame so the new can take its (his) place....

Hmm, I really like the symbolism and usually dont' like the tilt (I think it could be a bit less), but think it's nice here....

Nice shot!

Thanks for posting!
    I'm glad you liked it.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    ah gee-

but that's just me-

i thought you said ANGELO-phobia rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I would think if you had a release, you could sell this one as a stock photo many times. Nice shot!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    its a great shot, definately commercial.

but i see the story as if the younger guy was the older man a long time ago and even though the old man is retired, he still lives in the same city he's worked in for many years

i dunno
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT