CIF Volleyball

madeleymadeley Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited November 15, 2006 in Sports
One of my better attempts at action volleyball. Canon 1DMkIIN, ISO 3200, f2.8, 1/400, AV mode. The image has been cropped and run through Neat Image with a little sharpening. C&C welcome and any tips on improving will be greatly appreciated.

WR1_5902.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    Nice capture thumb.gifthumb.gif Really good faces too clap.gif It seems like the girl not hitting the ball is in sharper focus. One of the drawbacks of F2.8 ne_nau.gif

I think this one is close. I'd remove some of the yellow cast and work on shapening. Even if it means using a layer and only sharpening the setter's face. If you look at the histogram, you had some room on the right side. So I bumped up levels, took out some of the yellow (whites are white and skintones are better), a touch of curves and I used small radius USM (.2, 500, 0).

original.jpg

I think this would print up very well as an 8x10 or 8x12 thumb.gif

Good work and welcome to Dgrin :D Hope to see many more of your photos posted.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • madeleymadeley Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Thanks for the comment
    Appreciate the feedback. may I ask how you remove the yellow tint and how you use the layers to area sharpen. I have some experience with PS but always seem to introduce another color as I try to get rid of one. I have used layers but not for sharpening.
    Thanks.

Nice capture thumb.gifthumb.gif Really good faces too clap.gif It seems like the girl not hitting the ball is in sharper focus. One of the drawbacks of F2.8 ne_nau.gif

I think this one is close. I'd remove some of the yellow cast and work on shapening. Even if it means using a layer and only sharpening the setter's face. If you look at the histogram, you had some room on the right side. So I bumped up levels, took out some of the yellow (whites are white and skintones are better), a touch of curves and I used small radius USM (.2, 500, 0).

original.jpg

I think this would print up very well as an 8x10 or 8x12 thumb.gif

Good work and welcome to Dgrin :D Hope to see many more of your photos posted.

Steve
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 14, 2006
    madeley wrote:
    Appreciate the feedback. may I ask how you remove the yellow tint and how you use the layers to area sharpen. I have some experience with PS but always seem to introduce another color as I try to get rid of one. I have used layers but not for sharpening.
    Thanks.

Hello Madeley,
    I believe I just used a levels layer and picked a bright (white) area on the player in the background's top (for a white point-white point dropper) to get most of the yellow out. Sharpening with a layer/layer mask is very easy. Just select a duplicate layer (Layer>Duplicate Layer), then apply your USM, Then go to Layers>Layer Mask>Reveal All. Making sure black is set as your foreground color, select your brush tool and set the opacity to maybe 10% and start selectively erasing the sharpening from areas where you do not wish sharpening applied. Areas such as, backgrounds, high contrast edges, areas with lots of image noise already, etc). You can erase some or all of the sharpening applied.

I hope this helps :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • madeleymadeley Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Many Thanks
    I will try your remedy and see what I can do.
    Thans so much for your time.
    Hello Madeley,
    I believe I just used a levels layer and picked a bright (white) area on the player in the background's top (for a white point-white point dropper) to get most of the yellow out. Sharpening with a layer/layer mask is very easy. Just select a duplicate layer (Layer>Duplicate Layer), then apply your USM, Then go to Layers>Layer Mask>Reveal All. Making sure black is set as your foreground color, select your brush tool and set the opacity to maybe 10% and start selectively erasing the sharpening from areas where you do not wish sharpening apllied. Areas such as, backgrounds, high contrast edges, areas with lots of image noise already, etc). You can erase some or all of the sharpening applied.

I hope this helps :D

Steve