Macro/Flash question

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Technique
Is it some sort of advantage to have a flash away from the camera (remote) when using my 100mm canon macro lens ?

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Is it some sort of advantage to have a flash away from the camera (remote) when using my 100mm canon macro lens ?

gus, i've never taken a macro shot in my life, but I reckon using the flash off camera would have the same benefits as any other shot....the shadow will give more depth, detail etc
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Ta mate thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ta mate thumb.gif

Hey there Gus......... using a diffuser is a great help.
    If you have a look at Brians set up, he has his flash (end of it with the diffuser on it) amost touching the end of his lens.

I want to get a flexible flash holder that will allow you to put the flash where you want it, off the camera. ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 12, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Gus......... using a diffuser is a great help.
    If you have a look at Brians set up, he has his flash (end of it with the diffuser on it) amost touching the end of his lens.

I want to get a flexible flash holder that will allow you to put the flash where you want it, off the camera. ....... Skippy (Australia)

Ok ...do i spend $23 or do i need to spend $35 on the Omni ?
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ok ...do i spend $23 or do i need to spend $35 on the Omni ?

I've got the OMNI its a real tight fit, wont fall off, I dont know about the other one......... Skip

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 12, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I've got the OMNI its a real tight fit, wont fall off, I dont know about the other one......... Skip
    Yeah i recon a deffuser & a 2 foot hot shoe cord will do...about $100 all up on thievebay.
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Yeah i recon a deffuser & a 2 foot hot shoe cord will do...about $100 all up on thievebay.

Yeah I got the 2ft ext cord........here have a captain cook at this ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=15544&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

15544.jpg

This is the Bracket that is flexible and can bend in all kinds of directions.
    ........ yup I'm looking to buy me one of them Gus...... Skippy

edited November 12, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Yeah I got the 2ft ext cord........here have a captain cook at this ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=15544&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

This is the Bracket that is flexible and can bend in all kinds of directions.
    ........ yup I'm looking to buy me one of them Gus...... Skippy

ohhhhhhhh la de bloody dahhhh.

Looks like a medical instrument eek7.gif
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ohhhhhhhh la de bloody dahhhh.

Looks like a medical instrument eek7.gif

Ohhhh it's not good looking at all but the fact that it can be bent in any direction is what makes this very desireable my friend........ Skippy

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    those littel bendable parts are exactly what is on the CNC milling machines I run for Coolant to travel thru....dang I don't any pics or I'd let you see, except mine are bright orange.....Kinda neat to see what else things can be used for:D

Gus..I (personally) would save the $12 and get the cheaper one...after all it just a knock off of the Sto-Fen and if it is a tad loooooose just gaffer it to the flash....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 12, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    those littel bendable parts are exactly what is on the CNC milling machines I run for Coolant to travel thru....dang I don't any pics or I'd let you see, except mine are bright orange.....Kinda neat to see what else things can be used for:D

Gus..I (personally) would save the $12 and get the cheaper one...after all it just a knock off of the Sto-Fen and if it is a tad loooooose just gaffer it to the flash....
    Mate i spent way too many hours on a lathe during my 1st apprenticeship so believe me when i tell you i know what you are talking about.

Yeah i think i'll get the cheaper diffuser.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I have the Gary Fong diffuser and am very happy with it. I don't do flash macro though, only portraits... The diffuser was the best money I spent on photography...
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I don't know anything about macro photography, I just know that the photography lecturer of a class I'm taking almost gagged when talking about using the onboard flash in general. :puke1 eek7.gif

Malte
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    gus wrote:

Depends on the type of illumination you want to achieve Gus.

For documentation, lots of folks prefer flat, frontal lighting.

But side lighting of some sort is usually more dramatic, and makes more interesting photos.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin