MOON over MIDDLEVILLE

Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Holy Macro
You are looking at a ridge which forms the far side of a valley about 5 miles wide. Glennie and I were standing on the ridge on the near side shooting some wide angle pics of the valley in the afterglow from the sunset. We noticed the moon peaking over the far ridge and I grabbed my Pentax 400mm f4 and waited until the moon cleared the bad air at the horizon.

Here the valley is frontlit from the remnants of the sunset and the ridge is backlit from the brightening moon.

Attachment not found.

:D Bob
See with your Heart

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Awesome job Bob
    That's one howlin great photo! Very nice....such colors...that moon looks as big as the Earth. Excellent exposure and comp.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    You are looking at a ridge which forms the far side of a valley about 5 miles wide. Glennie and I were standing on the ridge on the near side shooting some wide angle pics of the valley in the afterglow from the sunset. We noticed the moon peaking over the far ridge and I grabbed my Pentax 400mm f4 and waited until the moon cleared the bad air at the horizon.

Here the valley is frontlit from the remnants of the sunset and the ridge is backlit from the brightening moon.

:D Bob

Thats a beauty Bob clap.gif nicely exposed...... you can still see the beautiful fall colours in the leaves on the trees, and still see plenty of detail in the moon too .... Great Shot! ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Thanks for your kind comments. I must humbly admit that this was due to a great deal of luck. We didn't even know the moon was going to appear there. My old Pentax f4 screw mount is a handy tool to have. It comes from the days when Pentax and the first Nikon F's were THE cameras to have. The rest was just timing. I had to wait until the moon cleared the bad air on the horizon. It was causing discoloration and distortions in the orb but if I waited too long the contrast would climb beyond my dynamic range.

Latter, Bob
    See with your Heart