StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited December 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
With all the fluffy pooches I had to post this
My daughter on her first fox hunt, Christmas eve, my parents house

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Very nice photo, beautiful horses. I bet she was excited.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    She seems kinda small for a shotgun. did she get any?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    I did'nt realize fox hunting was still a fun sport in England.. I thought it was at last banned.
    I remember when I lived on my dads farm and the hunt would come through and cause havoc among our animals, sheep etc.. I think one time my aunt corned the fox in a shed and saved it...clap.gif I'm sorry to say I find fox hunting very barbaric.. and I was brought up with it.. tearing any animal to shreds for sport just does'nt make my day. ps I just realized that you are in Cambridge!!! my dads farm was in Willingham only a few miles away.. the hunts didn't come through there tho.. dad would'nt allow it.. the hunt would come through the farm we leased (had no choice) I still remember how upset he would be running around trying to fix the mess the horses and hounds had left. One time they went right through my mums veggie garden.
    Lynn
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    not my cup of earl grey
    i'm with lynnma, i thought that this was getting out of fashion. i understand traditions and all, but fox hunting is definitely not something i'm interested in.

the child looks at home on the horse though :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    How many cleaning women in the home?

Actually I am jealous as bad as hunting the fox might be.............well, I am jealous. A time gone by, a time where fox hunting could have been called a "statement". The royal family still rides to the hounds, is that the right phrase?
    Diana didn't like it either. I think the fox is OK. I may be wrong.

Very nice house.

g

Oh, nice looking child, sitting the horse well. For a portrait I would try to isolate her a bit. Thanks for sharing the shot, though.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    if i could go back in time ...
    i'm with ya, ginger ... i'd love to live in olde england ... big ole manor house or castle :D

i'd prolly be sitting in by the fire on my laptop (millennia mixed up, yes) sorting out photos while the rest of the crew was out riding and foxing though ...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How many cleaning women in the home?

Actually I am jealous as bad as hunting the fox might be.............well, I am jealous. A time gone by, a time where fox hunting could have been called a "statement". The royal family still rides to the hounds, is that the right phrase?
    Diana didn't like it either. I think the fox is OK. I may be wrong.

Very nice house.

g

Oh, nice looking child, sitting the horse well. For a portrait I would try to isolate her a bit. Thanks for sharing the shot, though.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i'm with lynnma, i thought that this was getting out of fashion. i understand traditions and all, but fox hunting is definitely not something i'm interested in.

the child looks at home on the horse though :D
    The days are numbered andy.....& for that we can be thankfull.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Hey stan...it's a good photo that gets people chattering like this. Congrats :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Very true...anyone got some baby seal clubbings ?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Very true...anyone got some baby seal clubbings ?
    mmm...baby seals. tasty on a roll with a little vegemite mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:

Always gets a strong reaction, often best left alone, supprised to see it affects Australia though :D

Never mind better have my supper, a brace of partgidge tonight iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    supprised to see it affects Australia though :D
    you never know how the penal colonials will react :)
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Always gets a strong reaction, often best left alone, supprised to see it affects Australia though :D

Never mind better have my supper, a brace of partgidge tonight iloveyou.gif
    You must have had a pretty good idea tho....
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Great shot
    Lovely photo. Great emotion, anticipation in that shot. Good job. Too bad not everyone chose to comment on the photo itself...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    Lovely photo. Great emotion, anticipation in that shot. Good job. Too bad not everyone chose to comment on the photo itself...
    hahahahahahaha.... everyone has a right to speak out on photo content as well as technique. Sometimes people object to my content too. That is fine, none of us are trying to take shots that say nothing are we?

As for me... I think the hunt should be done away with but I also have some baby seal skins that my Grandma brought back from running the trading post in Teller Alaska. I have 4 fur coats that are about to go on ebay and I have eaten live shrimp and live lobster. So there:D
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    With all the fluffy pooches I had to post this
    My daughter on her first fox hunt, Christmas eve, my parents house
    Great photo. It captures quite a bit. Your daughter looks very confident and ready to go. Hard for (me at least) to image one so young and small controlling the horse.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Great photo. It captures quite a bit. Your daughter looks very confident and ready to go. Hard for (me at least) to image one so young and small controlling the horse.

Sam

Thanks for all the replies. Technicaly I think the shot would have been better with more of the house and the whole of the pony, but then the rider would have been less significant and you would not have seen her expression of determination.
    At the end of the day, for her, it will be a piece of history, something she can show her grandchildren...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. Technicaly I think the shot would have been better with more of the house and the whole of the pony, but then the rider would have been less significant and you would not have seen her expression of determination.
    At the end of the day, for her, it will be a piece of history, something she can show her grandchildren...
    That is true! If she goes on another one, I would shoot the hell out of it. Great to have a big photo, IMO.

Wanted to mention the horse/pony. Pretty thing, the expression on the animal is wonderful, and I don't know these things.

And, to whomever, I did mention the photo, too. I would take all my CF cards and take it all, though. And a portrait would cross my mind only as a portrait, etc. The reason for the portrait being the apparel.

doG, I am just itching to shoot that thing. Then you can sit by the fire, Andy, and critique the stuff. I am going to move, no tripods. Someone could bring one of those old 8 X 10 cameras they "used" to use, take a group photo (with tripod), and I could photograph that, too.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.