Options

Riding around Thousand Oaks

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 27, 2004 in Holy Macro
Took my daughter for a long-ish bike ride. Lunch at BJ's, down by Westlake and through Triunfo Park (yes, Nikolai's the only one who will appreciate the details, but what the heck). This is a mixture of nature/people, so I stuck it here in other cool shots.

Anyway, here's the dam at Westlake with the waterfowl all lined up. Looks to me like their colors are running.

13247693-M.jpg

And here's a series I took of my daughter.

This first one had such strong primary colors, maybe too strong?

13247897-M.jpg

I decided to embrace the strong colors, ran the Velvia action, then pulled back the saturation on her face only. Not sure it works, or that you can even really tell her on the web:

13248135-M.jpg

A close-up:
13248410-M.jpg

And a sepia conversion:
13248502-M.jpg

Another close-up:
13248635-M.jpg

And it's sepia cousin:
13248839-M.jpg

What do you all think?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I love the top two pics. IN the top one, yes the colors are running, it is almost an optical illusion! In the second picture, your colors realy stand out! Bravo!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I love the top two pics. IN the top one, yes the colors are running, it is almost an optical illusion! In the second picture, your colors realy stand out! Bravo!

Hey, Lucky, thanks!

I was gonna ask you, has the number of posts you've made outnumbered the total population in Angelus Oaks? You must be close. I sneezed once on my way through and missed it. The other time I kept my eyes open, it sure was beautiful, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I am in an online computer group where I have posted almost five thousand posts. he layout is the same as here, so I feel very at home.

All the pictures I see here really make me want to shoot more and more. Too bad Angelus Oaks doe nto have that much to shoot. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I am in an online computer group where I have posted almost five thousand posts. he layout is the same as here, so I feel very at home.

All the pictures I see here really make me want to shoot more and more. Too bad Angelus Oaks doe nto have that much to shoot. umph.gif

I meant what I said, it's beautiful up there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Running Colors
    DavidTO wrote:
    Took my daughter for a long-ish bike ride. Lunch at BJ's, down by Westlake and through Triunfo Park (yes, Nikolai's the only one who will appreciate the details, but what the heck). This is a mixture of nature/people, so I stuck it here in other cool shots.

Anyway, here's the dam at Westlake with the waterfowl all lined up. Looks to me like their colors are running.

13247693-M.jpg

Running colors, that's too funny! You have white Pelicans? Lucky you! I can't believe how close they are to the edge!
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

And here's a series I took of my daughter.

This first one had such strong primary colors, maybe too strong?

13247897-M.jpg

I decided to embrace the strong colors, ran the Velvia action, then pulled back the saturation on her face only. Not sure it works, or that you can even really tell her on the web:

13248135-M.jpg

What do you all think?
    Great shots. The dam shot and close-ups are fantastic. (I much prefer the color vs the sepia) The above is also excellent and although I was turned off by the velvia action in another thread (great shots by dkapp just too strong for me), here I like it. Maybe because you have pulled back the saturation on the face or maybe because the action is tunable? Please tell me more about this velvia action.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Great shots. The dam shot and close-ups are fantastic. (I much prefer the color vs the sepia) The above is also excellent and although I was turned off by the velvia action in another thread (great shots by dkapp just too strong for me), here I like it. Maybe because you have pulled back the saturation on the face or maybe because the action is tunable? Please tell me more about this velvia action.

Thanks, Charles! I appreciate the feedback.

I am the wrong person to ask about the Velvia action. I have one. It's by Paul Bleicher, a bunch of dialog boxes pop up during it that I don't know what to do with, so I hit OK, then it tells me to slide the opacity till I like it. Not much help, eh? Maybe someone else can step in and shed more light on it.

I think I got it from the Adobe free action sharing site, Adobe Studio Exchange.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    Running colors, that's too funny! You have white Pelicans? Lucky you! I can't believe how close they are to the edge!

Yeah, weird how they lined up with their colors like that. The picture's actually a little deceiving, as the water's not really flowing over the dam at that point, it's more that you can see the stains that imply movement, so they're really just standing on a wall, not really fighting the current.

Glad to know that I'm lucky to have white Pelicans. I'll pay more attention in the future! (My mom the birdwatcher would cringe at my ignorance!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Nice ones, David!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Took my daughter for a long-ish bike ride. Lunch at BJ's, down by Westlake and through Triunfo Park (yes, Nikolai's the only one who will appreciate the details, but what the heck).
    I sure do appreciate the details.:-)
    It also makes me feel guilty. I should've taken my daughters on a trip like that this Xmas day, too. But noooooo, I was fighting with GDI+ the whole day..

Bu you know what - I'll make it up for them. There is a New Year coming:-)

Thank you for making me think like a father again, not just as a computer geek:-)

You also made to upload the pictures from the similar trip from last January (take a wild guess - what tool did I use to create an album and upload the pictures?;-).
    Here's one picture:
    13273104-L.jpg

And if you click on a picture you'll get to the gallery.
    I bet you'll recognize the place:-)

Thanks again!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    I sure do appreciate the details.:-)

Thank you for making me think like a father again, not just as a computer geek:-)

Of course we got home, and what did I do? Holed myself up with my computer, processing photos! It's a double-edged sword for them.

I've had so little time to take pictures lately, and also so little time to do something as fun as riding bikes with my daughter, that it was a true joy.

Yes, I recognize the location. I even see the same duck!

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, weird how they lined up with their colors like that. The picture's actually a little deceiving, as the water's not really flowing over the dam at that point, it's more that you can see the stains that imply movement, so they're really just standing on a wall, not really fighting the current.

Glad to know that I'm lucky to have white Pelicans. I'll pay more attention in the future! (My mom the birdwatcher would cringe at my ignorance!)
    good to see your pics again David i like the birds living on the edge like that .the look is great looks like movement must be movement .
    jwear wrote:
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/