New to the site, and to DSLR!!!

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited November 13, 2006 in Cameras
Hey guys, just found your site. Must say I like it a lot, and have already learned a lot.

I started in digitals when the Nikon Coolpix 995 was new (my first digi). I then bought a Coolpix 8700 two years ago. Loved them both, but have decided to go to the SLR cameras.

Just ordered Canon's Rebel XTi kit, along with an attachable flash and a zoom lens. I used my parents' XT several months ago for about a week while visiting and loved it! Hoping that the XTi is even better.

Now then...When the USPS gets around to sending it to me, I'll start shooting!
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• ChuckMChuckM Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    Hey guys, just found your site. Must say I like it a lot, and have already learned a lot.

I started in digitals when the Nikon Coolpix 995 was new (my first digi). I then bought a Coolpix 8700 two years ago. Loved them both, but have decided to go to the SLR cameras.

Just ordered Canon's Rebel XTi kit, along with an attachable flash and a zoom lens. I used my parents' XT several months ago for about a week while visiting and loved it! Hoping that the XTi is even better.

Welcome!

I still consider myself a rookie. My $0.02...

Check out books by Bryan Peterson. I like the way his books are written with lots of "before and after" type shots to illustrate the point he is trying to make.

Check out the "technique" section. If you're new to SLR, it helps break down things into small bites. IMO this site can be overwhelming to a rookie. I think this is a good section to do some learnin'!

Get a smugmug account. It seems quite easy to store and share pics. While I probably should share more pics... I think one way to get better is to share and hear input from others.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    jbswear wrote:

w00t w00t! clap.gif congratulations on your new toy, I hope you get it soon! The XTi is a great camera.

And welcome to dgrin wave.gif have fun around here, if you need to know something, just ask us! we are all a very friendly kind of people here. Look in my signature for how to do most anything.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Welcome to the site. Your journey sounds similar, though longer than mine. I just went straight from a 995 to a 20D. Haven't looked back since.

Peterson's books are great resources, as is this fourm. Also check out fredmiranda.com and photography-on-the.net
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 13, 2006
    jbswear wrote:

Welcome! And congrats on the purchase. I just purchased a Rebel XTi kit myself and got it last week. I have not yet had much of a chance to use it other than a couple of pictures (weather is lousy), but I've been reading, etc., about it. Lots to learn in that leap from a point & shoot to a DSLR, I think. Have fun when you get it! clap.gifclap
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited November 13, 2006
    Barb wrote:
    Welcome! And congrats on the purchase. I just purchased a Rebel XTi kit myself and got it last week. I have not yet had much of a chance to use it other than a couple of pictures (weather is lousy), but I've been reading, etc., about it. Lots to learn in that leap from a point & shoot to a DSLR, I think. Have fun when you get it! clap.gifclap
    and w00t for Barb for getting one as well ( i missed that ) wings.gifivar
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 13, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    and w00t for Barb for getting one as well ( i missed that ) wings.gifivar

You didn't miss it, I hadn't said anything - hahaha.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited November 13, 2006
    Barb wrote:
    You didn't miss it, I hadn't said anything - hahaha.
    Sneaky..... well, congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it iloveyou.gifwings.gifivarclap.gif we are all awaiting the photos of course deal.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Hi! wave.gif I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have. Lots to learn and plenty of friendly people! iloveyou.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose