cokin filters

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited November 18, 2006 in Technique
Hi everyone,

I've got a question. I've been told that the Cokin filter system is the best bang for the buck, so to speak, especially when it comes to neutral density filters.

I have a Nikon 17-55 lens on a d70. What adaptor and holder would I need? Is this a good route to go for neutral density filters? Or should I just get a specific filter? I already have a polarizer, and I suppose it would be useful to have both at the same time. I suspect I'll get a bit of vignetting if I try that though, at the widest angle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    First of all is that going to be your only lens forever and ever and ever.....if not then my suggestion is to purchase the largest holder (to fit your dream lenses) and the adapter ring for your current lens...that way in the future all you will need are more adapters......

just my 'umble opinon.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Thanks for the response, Art,

But I'm completely lost here. What's that adapter? It's got a filter size of 77mm.

As of right now, none of my dream lenses are larger than that. I might consider going for a 70-200mm sometime in the distant future (77mm), or the 85 1.4 mm (77 mm), or the 12-24mm (77mm), so the filter size will be the same for all of them.

But what's the exact holder? I go to amazon, and there's a huge range of adapters and holders and so forth, and none of them have any kind of description about what they're designed to do.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    Thanks for the response, Art,

But I'm completely lost here. What's that adapter? You have a filter holder (which you already know about) the adapter is a screw in "ring" that the filter holder attaches to.

It's got a filter size of 77mm.

As of right now, none of my dream lenses are larger than that. I might consider going for a 70-200mm sometime in the distant future (77mm), or the 85 1.4 mm (77 mm), or the 12-24mm (77mm), so the filter size will be the same for all of them.

So I would get the system to fit that 70 - 200 (probably a "P" system...not sure if the X or Z system will work on 35mm styled digitals..if so I would go that way...because the filters are larger and would work better with wide angles.

But what's the exact holder? I go to amazon, and there's a huge range of adapters and holders and so forth, and none of them have any kind of description about what they're designed to do.

unfortunately Amazon is strictly a selling site..however the sellers can be contacted with questions....again you will probably want either the "P" system or one of "PRO" systems that was originally designed for Med. Format....
    Here is a link to COKIN FILTERS . and a UK Link also: COKIN FILTERS UK

and one last LINK <<<- this one is used for price comparisons as you see they do offer FREE SHIPPING....

it used to be that the local camera stores carried brochures...but in my area they carry the filters (small inventory) .

just found this.... COKIN HOME SITE IN FRANCE site is in english... This PAGE will really help you

Hope this has been some help....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• thirdlifethirdlife Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    mmroden wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I've got a question. I've been told that the Cokin filter system is the best bang for the buck, so to speak, especially when it comes to neutral density filters.

I have a Nikon 17-55 lens on a d70. What adaptor and holder would I need? Is this a good route to go for neutral density filters? Or should I just get a specific filter? I already have a polarizer, and I suppose it would be useful to have both at the same time. I suspect I'll get a bit of vignetting if I try that though, at the widest angle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I think you should consider reading this:
    http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

From what I hear, you should get the best filter you can afford. That said, i can only afford $20-50 filters and haven't had any problems.

ALso, and excellent source for filters is: http://www.2filter.com/
    Check their hours though, they do not ship when they are closed.
    edited November 14, 2006
    hrm, interesting. According to Mr. Hogan, I'd need to get a modified holder in order to use a cokin ND filter. He claims that they aren't that useful, but he has the holder himself (I guess just for the potentially wacky effect).

So instead a hoya ND 8 is a better guess? Cuz a polarizer's already at 2 stops, so the ND 8 will be three stops, and if I want to be wacky and stack them I could go ahead and do so, right?
  • SysagentSysagent Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Avoid the Cokin ND Grad filters like the plague...

They have a reddish / brown colour cast to your shots a better alternative are the HiTech ones that apparently originate from the same factory as the Lee filters.

The HiTech 80 series use the Cokin P holder.

Russ
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    First of all is that going to be your only lens forever and ever and ever.....if not then my suggestion is to purchase the largest holder (to fit your dream lenses) and the adapter ring for your current lens...that way in the future all you will need are more adapters......
    Taking Arthur's comment in with this post...
    If you bought a Cokin filter kit now. You'd be using the P-Series.
    Start looking there and then ask other questions if you have any.

I actually just got done studying these filters. While they are very cool and good for "custom" effects like shooting a horizon at anything above or below the horizontal center of the shot. (there are plenty more uses for these filters, just off topic though) Personally, I think they are too clunky and cumbersome to get if you are just starting out. I'd go w/ some screw on cheapo filters and see what you really like. This is the route I ended up going and am completely satisfied w/ knowing the expensive filters I buy are exactly what I want.

JMO: Take it or leave it.

Good luck in your search.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Sysagent wrote:
    Avoid the Cokin ND Grad filters like the plague...

They have a reddish / brown colour cast to your shots a better alternative are the HiTech ones that apparently originate from the same factory as the Lee filters.

The HiTech 80 series use the Cokin P holder.

Russ

Bah! I have and use a cokin ND grad. If there is a color cast, it has not bothered me. I shoot in RAW and alter the WB in post anyway. I wouldn't make a blanket statement not to use the filters.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited November 18, 2006
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not too interested in the grad ND filters at the moment, but just the regular ND filters. I guess the possibility of having a swappable system is pretty appealing.

So, if I understand everything correctly, I need:
    a p299 filter holder
    a p477 77 mm adaptor
    a p154 neutral density 8x filter
    a p164 circular polarizer (or can I use the one I already have?)

and I should be all set, yes? Wading through their serial numbering is a bit on the taxing side, so I just want to make sure this is the right stuff.