portrait lighting ?

frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
edited November 15, 2006 in People
110093698-M.jpg

bought an umbrella from the dollar store the other week as it was raining pretty hard, noticed it had a kinda silvery color on the other side.... anyway rigged it up to my tripod stuck my sb600 on about 1/4 power I think.
came out underexposed probably should have gone for 1/2 or full... anyway used lightroom beta to convert the raw and adjust exposure then Elements 3 to tweak....
tell me what you think?

Comments

• AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I think there's no "real" underexposure here, but it may be a matter of taste :)

Anyway, instead of changing the flash power, try "playing" with the aperture to modify the flash range. Big aperture = big range. Small aperture =… smaller range.

That's a very quick résumé :D but I'm sure you got the point thumb.gif

You may try to set your flash at 1/64's of its power, and approach it to your subject. Will give you a more "envelopping" light.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Well, if it came out of the camera a little under-exposed, you can't see it here and I think you did a wonderful job of recovery.

Really like the soft shadows and the nice light triangle under her right eye (is this what they call the "Rambrant triangle?).
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    thanks for taking the time to look and comment guys...

Antoine, I will try out your suggestions, had a look at your portfolio, very interesting series... like what you did with the lighting

Thanks Scott ..... not really sure what its called... in all honesty, I just had a general idea of where to put the light and read somewhere to turn the power down..... the results were more luck than on purpose... had a lot of fun doing it though, I think I shall experiment some more and do a bit more research on lighting......
  • igophotoigophoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I need to go to the dollar store more often. Its a great place to get all kinds of things from props to light modifiers. I bought a big plastic bottle of bubble bath there once and use it as a diffusor on my SB800, works like a light sphere. lol
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    frg wrote:
    thanks for taking the time to look and comment guys...

Antoine, I will try out your suggestions, had a look at your portfolio, very interesting series... like what you did with the lighting

thanks for the comment & keep us posted thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Wow looks great to me.
    edited November 15, 2006
    Thank you all for taking the time to look.......

Check out this site , major info on using speedlights
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    I really like it.....as Antoine said ...try adjusting by aperature....one other thing you might try (and I am presuming you only have the 1 flash)...try setting a lamp or work light behinf and above to create some separation between her and the brown wall or point more toward her as a hair light....

It is a good portrait. thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    Your final result is very nice.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited November 15, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    I really like it.....as Antoine said ...try adjusting by aperature....one other thing you might try (and I am presuming you only have the 1 flash)...try setting a lamp or work light behinf and above to create some separation between her and the brown wall or point more toward her as a hair light....

It is a good portrait. thumb.gif

Thanks Art ..... 1 flash it is.... I do have a couple of work lights in the garage... I will try them out on the weekend

Thanks Antonio