78: Silhouettes ideas and help

GranitGranit Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited November 14, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well I think I will learn a lot on this new challenge. Here is what I have in mind, but I do not know how to do this yet. Any advise will be welcome.

A Silhouette for me is a an object showing up as black (or close to) like a shadow, but not a shadow, it has to be the object itself, it has to show up black and it has to provide enough information so the watcher can determine what it is, I would love it if it could take 5 seconds for the watcher to say: "Oh yeah that's a _____ .....Cool."

-I want to take a picture of a complexe object on a white background. (I'm thinking my daughters bike, but not sure yet.)
-The object is to show up completly black.
-The picture might be the full object/bike or part of it, this is to be determine.

To do this I think I need an indirect light source that would illuminate the wall only, almost no light on the bike directly, I would need a medium to fast exposure and medium to high aperture number. Proper settings for the WHITE of overcome the bike, but without being overexpose.

Am I on the right track for this?
Any suggestions on how to perform this?
Do not comment the idea itself for now, I do not want my inspiration to be influenced by better ideas, but I need suggestions on the technical aspect.

Thanks.

Comments

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    You are on the right track...

Basically what your gonna want to do is meter for your background and completly underexpose your subject, leaving it black. It's really easy to do in sunrise/sunset situations because you can meter for a really bright light source (the sun) and then really chop out your subject. You might want to give that a try first to get a good idea of what kind of settings your gonna need to use to get real good definition.

Good luck!

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • GranitGranit Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Ummmm....So far everyone is showing great landscape or people silhouettes. I guess those are the common Silhouettes.

I predict that the winner will provide something different, that will stick out from the rest.....I just hope I come up with that something different.... headscratch.gif
  • imagin'imagin' Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Granit wrote:
    Ummmm....So far everyone is showing great landscape or people silhouettes. I guess those are the common Silhouettes.

I predict that the winner will provide something different, that will stick out from the rest.....I just hope I come up with that something different.... headscratch.gif

mwink.gif Noted the plural form of the challenge Granit? Not "sihouette" but "silhouettes". Think it makes a difference? ne_nau.gif