photo framing - creating a drop shadow in PhotoShop

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Got it !!! Ta waxy thumb.gif

Did you get the black/white bit in the start arse about ?
    I had trouble also with paying close attention to the foreground/background - black/white ( or it can be any color you choose to make it ) - otherwise you are casting a white shadow on a white surface and sit and scratch your head saying I can't seem to figure this out.
    Photoshop has lots of power and lots of books about it - but there are little steps like this black/white - foreground/background that you MUST pay attention to or you are just ( in deference to the family values of this thread ) messed up.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Got it !!! Ta waxy thumb.gif

Did you get the black/white bit in the start arse about ?

Yeah, I noticed that after posting the pic but I was late getting to work and didn't have time to fix it. It didn't make a difference to the final result so I didn't mention it. Nice catch, maestro of the matte.
    :D

And nice job on the drop shadow. You can change the color too - just click on the colored box, to the right of the first drop-down menu, at the top of the Drop Shadow dialogue box.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, I noticed that after posting the pic but I was late getting to work and didn't have time to fix it. QUOTE]

No worries....only took me an extra 3 hours to do it, & maybe 40 or 50 attempts.umph.gif
  • Options
    wstickerwsticker Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    Has anyone created an action script for this process?
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    This thread is a very early thread in the history of dgrin, I was just a visitor here on dgrin back then.

I later posted a better way of creating a drop shadow as seen here

It would be very easy to work through the steps I have outlined and record an action. I have not done this because I like to choose different border widths or background colors at times. Once you know how to do a drop shadow, it takes less than 30 secs to do.....

Drop shadows are really post processing/image editing and not shooting Technique, so I have moved this to Finishing School.

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Pathfinder:

I had to look this up today as I had forgotten how to do it.

Still using your tricks to improve my shots!

Thanks.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Thanks George, glad to hear it helped you.

The better technique, which I wrote after I knew a bit more about PS however, is here - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=38344&postcount=9