Shooting Mode Help

madeleymadeley Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited November 14, 2006 in Technique
As a relative beginner who likes to photograph sports and wildlife I have a camera mode question. I shoot in AV mode usually wide open to get high speed. I notice quite a few posters shoot similar subjects in Manual mode. I have tried this but find myself constantly adjusting the speed or exposure to get it correct. Is one mode better than the other, or is one mode better for adjustments later.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    If your subject is lit by a constant light source, your exposure shouln't change. In that situation it is sometimes safer to set the camera to M rather than take the risk that the in camera meter will be fooled by something in the scene (white birds for instance). The most common example of this is midday direct sunlight which is a very predictable light source. For wildlife in direct sun, try ISO 100, 1/2000 at f/4. If there is mixed light with direct sun and shade life gets more complictated because shade is typically 3 stops or more) darker than that which is a huge range of lighting. When I am shooting wildlife I often set up the manual mode for direct sun and use one of the metered modes for shade or mixed lighting.