Canon XT to XTi. Should I do it?

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited November 25, 2006 in Cameras
I was thinking of upgrading for the 07 shootout. Is it worth it? I can use all my XT stuff on it, right? I just think its cheap enough and then this way I have a secondary camera when I do weddings. Tell me im crazy or put some pressure for me to pull the trigger. :thumb
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    I was thinking of upgrading for the 07 shootout. Is it worth it? I can use all my XT stuff on it, right? I just think its cheap enough and then this way I have a secondary camera when I do weddings. Tell me im crazy or put some pressure for me to pull the trigger. thumb.gif
    The only reason it could be good, is if you need a backup camera i think. Otherwise, I would not bother, what do you really get out of the upgrade? not enough i think. I'd save my money for something like a 20d/30d or some glass.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 14, 2006
    Call me crazy, but I love having more than one body - that gives me one for a normal zoom lens and one for a telezoom lens.

Say a 17-85 and 70-200, with no need to change lenses in the field. Or a 24-105 and a 120-300. Or a 16-35 and a 24-70. You get the idea. Or even a 50 F1.4 and an 85 f1.8. Or a 17-40 and a 28-105.......

Do you need one - NO, but is it convenient and pleasant to not to have to change lenses very often?? Absolutely!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I would also suggest planning to upgrade to a 20D or 30D (or maybe a 40D next year). The better AF system and viewfinder will serve you better than the extra pixels in the XTi.
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I would also suggest planning to upgrade to a 20D or 30D (or maybe a 40D next year). The better AF system and viewfinder will serve you better than the extra pixels in the XTi.
    The XTi has the better AF system of the 20D and 30D. I'll be surprised to see it improved in the 40D (but that would be cool!).
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    The only reason it could be good, is if you need a backup camera i think. Otherwise, I would not bother, what do you really get out of the upgrade? not enough i think. I'd save my money for something like a 20d/30d or some glass.

I agree that the XTi does not provide enough benefit over the XT to make it worth an upgrade; however, it would be a great second body. I would be inclined to get a 20D or 30D, but I would have to do more research on the differences. I plead ignorance there.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I got the 350D right after tax time. I had a choice between the 20D kit or the 350 body w/ better lens. Everyone I spoke to at the time said get the 350 and put more of the money on a quality lens and flash, etc... I also knew the 400D and 30D were right around the corner. The 30D was announced right after the return period for my 350 ended. I figured the 400D was close behind so I figured I'd sell it on Ebay and upgrade if it was within 6 months. I took everything from the Blue Angels to an African Safari with the 350. Using almost solely my 28-135 lens (I did get the kit but didn't like the 18-55), I had a descent dust problem. Constantly switching between the 28-135 and 70-200 with the 400D, I haven't had to blow out my 400D yet. It's much easier to choose settings and the extra MP's don't hurt. It seeks better with my 28-135 lens in the same lighting conditions.
    It's a budget workhorse.

I'm suffering and fighting through a fraudulent paypal transaction after "selling" my 350 on Ebay to upgrade to a 400. :bash (Sent payment to my paypal then 3 days later after I shipped the item, buyer claimed it was a fraudulent use of their paypal acct and paypal took the payment right out of my account... Sucks, I could have just had two bodies...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    save it or buy L glass
    I liked my 350 just fine but I wont buy another plastic camera again.
    Not after handling the 30D and 5D anyway. iloveyou.gif

In fact if the 40D were out I might have bought that but I went 5D
  • allanallan Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    surly wrote:
    I liked my 350 just fine but I wont buy another plastic camera again.
    Not after handling the 30D and 5D anyway. iloveyou.gif

In fact if the 40D were out I might have bought that but I went 5D

I like the XTi..everything i complained about the XT-- Canon fixed--GREAT camera...well..not as great as the 5D, of course..which i got right after the XTi.
    An N, a few L's and a bounch of #'s that let me 'see' better...
    28 years of trying to capture emotion...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/