Options

Feature Request - Self Printing?

klinkertklinkert Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Any chance you could have a self printing option and you guys take a comission on the sale, similar to Exposure Manager?

Thanks, JJ

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    It's been done for a couple months now..
    klinkert wrote:
    Any chance you could have a self printing option and you guys take a comission on the sale, similar to Exposure Manager?

Thanks, JJ
    when you login as an owner and do "order" prints from yourself, you're charged the cost only.

That is, at least, for a pro account.

It did not hit any news board, went kinda quiet - but it's there, I used it.

No my only "complaint" about it that it does not log this transaction in the "order history"...

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    So this selling pics from SM...is it for anyone with a basic account or just the advanced/pro account ?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    As long as printing is turned on under each customize gallery, anyone can print at the standard Ezprints prices from that gallery. But with a Pro account you can set your own prices and the sizes of prints allowed.
    I think it's all explained under help.
    Does that help?
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    klinkertklinkert Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2004
    re: Self Printing
    Thanks for the response, but I was looknig for a feature to let somene order prints from the site owner instead of the print order going to EZprints. Could the site owner receive an emial with the requested prints so and leave it to the site owner to fulfill? Thanks, JJ

Nikolai wrote:
    when you login as an owner and do "order" prints from yourself, you're charged the cost only.

That is, at least, for a pro account.

It did not hit any news board, went kinda quiet - but it's there, I used it.

No my only "complaint" about it that it does not log this transaction in the "order history"...

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    I see..
    klinkert wrote:
    Thanks for the response, but I was looknig for a feature to let somene order prints from the site owner instead of the print order going to EZprints. Could the site owner receive an emial with the requested prints so and leave it to the site owner to fulfill? Thanks, JJ
    I don't understand why do you want to do this (working yourself instead of letting nice smugmug elves do that dirty work for you), but you can probaly make a comment in your bio and in each gallery you want to be processed this way, that if someone wants to order prints directlu from you, not from SM/EZP, they can send an email to doit@yourself.net - and then see what happens.

Out of curiosity - why? I personally consider the smugmug prinit service to be a very convenient one. They don't charge a high margin, either..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    As long as printing is turned on under each customize gallery, anyone can print at the standard Ezprints prices from that gallery. But with a Pro account you can set your own prices and the sizes of prints allowed.
    I think it's all explained under help.
    Does that help?
    Al
    Tks al...sorry i was late getting back to you but i missed the thread.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Well, smugmug is nice and all and the system works beautifully, but what if you want to sell your prints framed or signed?

What I think should be possible is to setup a smugmug hosted paying service (you guys got in cahoots with EZprints, can you hook up with paypal too?) via which the buyer can "order" a framed, signed, or whatever custom print from the photographer. But instead of smugmug simply sending the image to EZprints and the profit to the photographer, smugmug creates an "order" for the photographer to view, possibly similar to the current "pro sales" setup. Of course this would involve the photographer posting his own unoficial prices and smugmug automatically taking a certain percentag, leaving it up to the photographer to figure out his true profit. The photographer would be in charge of either ordering their print from EZprints or taking it to a lab, buying a frame, and shipping it, which would be cause for prominent disclaimers on smugmug's part stating that smugmug is not in charge of the actual printing and shipping of the item and therefore can only guarantee the safety of the monetary transaction and not the quality of the photo or the integrity of the shipping service.

Which is why I doubt it could happen, even though it would be a sweeeeeeet service to have. I personaly don't like the idea of putting a print up for sale online, because I want to be able to see the quality of my print before it gets sent off ; It's hard to guarantee quality on my part, since I'm the one doing the color correcting and sharpening, even though EZprints may use the best machines. Know what I mean?
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum